Chapter 22 - Temporary (9)

On a cloudy afternoon, at the top of a large flat roof with greenery embedded inside its crevices. Isaac, Aaron, and Alex were about to fight against Rico, Explo, and Crow.

Isaac wore a t-shirt and long pants and was ready to use his all-purpose watch.

Even though it was summer, Aaron had long sleeves, his pistol and sniper still equipped, while Alex had a grey hoodie.

Explo stood in her pink armour, and Crow wore a black cape and a crow mask.

Rico, the youngest amongst them, although not accustomed to the cold weather of the Tremblay guild, had some shorts and a sleeveless shirt.

Alex took a few steps forward. "Isaac, come with me. Aaron, back us up."

The plan was simple. Alex and Isaac would fight, while Aaron would stay farther away and use his wind magic to support them.

"But Rico's my brother!" Aaron was hesitant.

Frowning, Alex abruptly turned his face to look at Aaron. "Forget about your brother! You need to live for yourself!"

Alex gasped, realizing the danger of taking his eyes away from the opponents. Crow was right behind him! In less than a second, his sword would pierce through his back.

Alex couldn't do anything, but someone could. Aaron released wind magic.

*WOOSH!* Alex got launched a few meters above ground, avoiding Crow's blade, before landing on his feet. "Thanks."

"No problem."

*ZZZT!* Isaac conjured a spear with his all-purpose watch and embedded it with electricity, all the while jumping at Crow with Aaron's wind magic.

"Crow!" Rico wouldn't let Crow get hit, even if that seemed unlikely. By using his mysterious magic, his eyes glowed pink.

"I'm slowing down, Aaron!" Isaac felt the wind magic getting weaker, no doubt, due to Rico's power.

Crow swiftly avoided Isaac. He went back near Rico's side.

Aaron could feel his magic power dampen. "What's this power? Rico's always been a wind mage like me!"

Explo, who remained silent so far, tried to make her move. She was about to fire at Aaron. However, Alex intercepted her.

He had been aware of the environment, more precisely, the vegetation spreading inside the old roof they were standing on.

Using his elemental magic, flora magic, he altered their growth, making vines wrap around Explo's body.

Rico stopped focusing only on Aaron. He switched his gaze toward Alex.

Alex Tremblay was confused. He was struggling to keep the vines together. "Huh? My magic power has reduced! She's about to break out!"

*BVOOM!* Explo fired a red beam at Alex instead of Aaron.

*Cough* "Thankfully, Aaron assisted me." Alex had managed to roll away right before it was too late.

The new smoke formed by Explo weakened his sight.

Suddenly, Alex's eyes widened. While looking at the other side of the roof, to the right, he saw it.

Aaron saw it too, but his magic was too weak because of Rico. He was about to reach for his pistol attached to his waist but didn't have time. "Isaac!"

Rico grinned. His eyes were still glowing pink, focused on Aaron once again. Crow dashed with his sword extended, pointing at Isaac.

Isaac thought his time had come. That red magic from before didn't activate.

However, his older brother was still there for him.

*Bump!*

*Slash!*

Isaac was still alive, lying on the ground. As he turned his head toward the noise, he saw a horrifying scene. Crow's sword had pierced a hole through Alex. His older brother had taken the blow for him.

When removing his sword, Crow made sure reviving Alex wasn't an option. He sliced Alex's head into two halves. "Even the best doctors won't save him now."

Aaron and Isaac were shocked. However, the fight wasn't over, and mourning had to be put on hold at the moment.

Aaron shouted, "If only Rico hadn't dampened my magic! What kind of wicked thing did you do in order to obtain this new power?!"

He held his pistol, determined to fight.