Chapter 10 - Underground City Cleanup (1)

The sky was blue apart from a few chunks of cloud here and there.

Everything was silent. The wind soared through the gaps between the tall white leafless aspen trees. No tiny insects could be spotted. No bird could be heard singing or seen flying. They had all migrated to the south during autumn and would come back in spring.

In the middle of Tremblay guild's Aspen forest, Isaac sought peace of mind.

He was sitting on a rock inside of a small glade. Trees surrounded it.

Isaac had just turned 15 that morning. It was the thirteenth day of January, a full week before the coup d'état on the Amon guild organized by Jacob Raider.

Since it was winter, Isaac was wearing a parka coat, a coat with fur attached to the hood.

He muttered, "I can't believe I've turned 15 already. Time passes by so fast. I'm still just a kid who tries to meet everyone's expectations, an orphan trying his best to get accepted as a Tremblay."

A few kilometres away, Isaac could still spot the city's skylines through a thick fog.

The Tremblay guild was situated on the northern side of the Western continent. It enjoyed an abundance of snow every winter.

Isaac resided in the capital of the Tremblay guild, Aspen City. The city's layout was very original. To fight against deforestation, the 11th prime minister of the guild had applied a rule in order to preserve a certain quantity of trees in each of the big territories.

As such, during the second war, when it was built because of the growing population migrating from the east, this city had to leave a giant square of 500 hectares. It was surnamed the Aspen Forest.

Just like most of the Tremblay guild's population, Isaac had very white skin.

Isaac's hair and eyes were brown. On his right arm, Isaac wore the magic all-purpose watch that his father had given him as a birthday present in the morning.

He then looked down at the big rock that he was sitting on. "This rock is where I got abandoned right after being born."

Isaac observed the sky. It was about midday. He had been idling for a few hours. "Well, thanks to that, I was adopted as a member of the Tremblay family. My father and brother are very nice to me."

A few meters away, a young man leapt into the glade.

"Oh, hi brother." Isaac greeted him. It was his brother, Alex Tremblay.

His brother had a big nose and a long face. His blond hair and green eyes gave him a particular look.

"Hey, Isaac. Are you ready for your first mission?" he asked.

Isaac was stunned. "W-wait! It's today?!"

"Yep! Come with me. We're going to go help clean up the Underground City. By cleaning up I mean-"

Alex laughed upon seeing his brother's face. "Haha, look at your face! Don't worry, today's your b-day. Luck should be on your side!"

...

After an hour of walking, 10 minutes of preparing and 50 minutes of driving, they finally arrived inside an elevator. There was a glass wall on one side, but they hadn't yet arrived down at the Underground City.

Isaac hadn't been informed about the details yet. "So, Alex, what is the city we are going to raid like? I've never been there before."

"Stop worrying Isaac. You'll see soon enough. It's pretty original, but it's really not the place anyone would want to live at," said Alex. He was leaning on the wall.