Chapter 27 - Hellish City (4)

Aaron and Isaac arrived at Ejiro Sani's apartment. Much like they had heard, he resided atop one of the few towers, the white tower in the western part of Hellish City.

He wasn't the only one living in the tower and only had his apartment until the end of his mission. He led Aaron and Isaac to the top of the building by using the elevator.

Even Aaron, who used to be a young master, was amazed by the luxury. The living room was near the glass doors leading to an expansive balcony peaking at the 500 metres fall. There was a primary bedroom, two smaller ones for visitors, and a large kitchen.

About half an hour after supper, Isaac looked at the time with his all-purpose watch. It had been 15 hours since the war broke out in the Tremblay Guild on the 11th of august, 2220.

"I'll go to sleep, Aaron. Good night."

"Good night, Isaac." Aaron went through the sliding glass door, arriving at the balcony.

The air felt cold and the night sky was unusual. The sun had gone long ago, yet there were still trails of red similar to a sunset which seemed to encompass Hellish City.

Ejiro was relaxing on the balcony, drinking a cup of black coffee. He laid his mug on the table. "You can't see such a night sky anywhere else in the world. It's just like a sunset, but without the sun."

"Yeah."

Aaron stood in a gaze for several seconds, observing the sky and the city below. "By the way, Isaac's gone to bed already."

Ejiro spoke calmly, giving a vastly different impression than at the dungeon. "I'm sure he had a long day. I heard about his brother's death."

"These two are like brothers to you, right?" he asked Aaron, who was still looking out the balcony.

"Pretty much. I lived with Isaac's family for more than half a year. I guess it was just the calm before the storm."

Falling stars suddenly lit up in the sky before disappearing in a flash. Lively, Ejiro changed the subject. "Look, it's the Perseids. You should make a wish, Aaron."

"A wish..."

After looking at the starry sky for a while, Aaron turned his head toward Ejiro.

"Mister Sani, I have a question. Can people who already possess elemental magic also obtain dark magic powers?"

After a bit of thinking, Ejiro Sani answered, "If you turn into a vampire, there is a chance to retain your other power while also having vampiric abilities. Although it's a type of cursed magic, people often consider cursed magic as a branch of dark magic. But I don't know any other methods."

Aaron was deep in thought. Magic was such a mysterious thing. 'Isaac and Rico. They both obtained strange new powers. How did they do it?' Although he didn't want to admit it, he felt jealous.

"Ah, okay.... Good night." Aaron went back inside.

"Good night."

...

Everyone had gone to bed.

The full moon shined in Isaac's bedroom through the window's thin curtains.

A red mist suddenly appeared, flying inside his room.

Still asleep, Isaac's eyes were closed tightly, and his body trembled, his bed dampened in sweat,

*Ksssh!*

The mist slowly transformed into distorted human figures. "We need your help... Save us..." a girlish voice whispered along a faint gust of wind.