Chapter 98 - The Fifth Layer (7)

The two other gates opened. Ejiro, Adia, Bryan, and Victor arrived North of Syphon City. They could see its walls and buildings from a kilometre away.

Luo and Jenna arrived from the South. Their side had run into many skeletons and even human mages, but they had defeated them.

"Commander Rack, how is it going?" asked Jenna over the comms.

-Crash!

James Rack fell through a building's concrete wall and breathed through his metal helmet. Zephyr Dragos was aiming his new handgun at him.

-Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

The metal mage transformed the floor into walls to protect himself from the explosive bullets and ran to the other side of the building, exiting through the front door. "Get here asap. The reptoid Seat is here!"

Zephyr quickly spotted him in the street and took some distance by jumping away. Rack had transformed his metal pole into a swirly structure that spun around him and deflected all of the reptoid's bullets. He quickly closed the gap between him and his opponent.

The metal in his hand transformed into a spear, and he struck at Zephyr's unprotected head. Yet, Zephyr's armour had sensed the danger and rapidly swung his upper body sideways to evade Rack's attack.

Rack struck in the air. He couldn't move in time as the reptoid took hold of his spear and ripped it out of his hands. He threw it far away like a javelin, but it wasn't Rack's only weapon.

'I have him!' The man's left gauntlet sharpened into a knife as he stuck it into Zephyr's neck. Or at least, that was what was supposed to happen, but he caught a glimpse of Zephyr's smile.

A punch to the stomach, almost perforating his armour, sent him flying up. The metal collision echoed throughout his body. He puked into his helmet. The reptoid was fast.

-Urk!

Just before he landed back down, Zephyr kicked him into the crowd of skeletons.

He pushed the skeletons off himself and stood up dizzily. Before he knew it, Zephyr's boot pushed him to the ground. The Seat stepped on him and aimed his handgun. "I wonder how many bullets you can resist."

"Haha. You'll run out of bullets before finding that out." Rack secretly formed a shield on his right arm.

-Bang!

That wasn't Zephyr's bullet, nor Rack's shield. The loyalists had arrived. It was Victor! He had flown by in the blink of an eye and fired at Zephyr's chest. His intelligent armour couldn't move him out of the way in time as the bullet exploded.

Zephyr found himself lying on his back. Rack slowly stood up. Their fight wasn't over yet.

"I don't know who that was, but thanks for the help," the commander said out loud.

Near the two leaders, the vampires were fighting reptoids and skeletons. Ejiro, Adia and Bryan were targeting the few wizards that were there. Jenna and Luo, who had just arrived, took on the ice wizard and were evenly matched.

Fire, ice, metal, guns, wings, wind, bones and scales roamed at Syphon City's doorstep. Victor and the vampires by his side were flying above the field, eliminating threats and supporting the other soldiers. He combined his two handguns and fired at a reptoid in silver armour.

As the reptoid lost balance, Victor dived onto the grass and penetrated his claws through the creature's neck.

"Hello." Amidst the skeletons, a figure in a dark hood approached him unfrightened.