Chapter 94 - The Fifth Layer (3)

Two of Isaac's spears stuck into a reptoid's throat as Anne ran past him, leaped forward, and attacked another with a knife to the neck. They had become accustomed to fighting reptoids. While reptoids were strong, sturdy, and fast on their legs, most had a bad reaction time and preferred to block rather than avoid an attack on their weak spot.

In his wolf form, the Werewolf Alpha rammed into two reptoids and threw them off balance. He jumped over one of them, but before he could finish him with his teeth, a third reptoid held him by the fur.

He rolled, losing a handful of hair on his black and white coat, and backed away behind the mass of people where four armed rebels stood out.

Christopher took on his human form and caught his breath. "Shoot at their necks!"

As they immobilized the five reptoids before him with bullets, Christopher, a wolf again, jumped on the one that had tried catching him. The wolf's massive weight crushed the reptoid's shoulders, his fangs carved into his skin, and his teeth decapitated the prey's head.

Two more fell due to the gunfire and another due to a fire mage from the Western Alliance's army. The last one watched in horror as the reptoid's scales melted off. A few seconds later, Isaac's red magic spears finished him.

"I wish I could use magic!" A rebel frowned as she reloaded her assault rifle.

Another one nodded. "I heard it takes years to manifest magic and that it's impossible to become magicians at our age."

"I'm jealous. If only the Obscure Guild hadn't prohibited us from learning sorcery."

Further away from the main gates, close to the platform, Aaron, Gabriella and Anne had just killed six more reptoids. Gabriella wiped the sweat off her cold forehead as she let go of her vampiric form. "These were the last ones. Thanks for the help, Anne."

"Hello. We're finally reunited," Isaac failed to smile, having a blank expression again due to red magic.

Aaron noticed. "How are you, Isaac? Has your electricity magic returned?"

"It hasn't, but I'm stronger than ever now," he curved his lips up.

"By the way, why isn't Seth here?"

"He's recovering from yesterday's battle. Now, why was there a fight here?"

"Reptoid spies. There were more than expected," said Gabriella, next to them, while scouting the premises.

"Now that we've gotten rid of them," Christopher Fireblood approached them in human form. He then turned around and walked in the opposite direction. "There's no need to continue the tests, so I'll go eat at my favourite restaurant here. I'm craving red meat right now."

Gabriella shook her head. "There may still be more reptoids in hiding. We have to proceed as planned and check everyone."

"Alright. Good luck." He waved at her.

The vampire dashed in front of him, smiling. "Christopher, you Promised you would help."

"Urgh, fine!"

...

Stephen's assistant knocked on his office's thick door. "It's Sophie."

"Has everyone arrived?" Stephen stood up and walked toward her.

"Yes. They are waiting at the location you selected." His assistant walked along the long hallway and pressed a button to call for an elevator.

...

In a lobby a few streets away, people from all over the continent had gathered for a secret meeting. It was a luxurious, well-lit room with leather couches and marble counters. On the opposite side of the revolving door stood a tall spiral, red-carpeted staircase leading to a higher floor. Beneath it were the empty reception desk and the elevator.

The Western Alliance commander, Rack, observed everyone present.

"There are fifteen people here," he told Ejiro Sani, who stood next to Luo and Jenna.

Ejiro pointed at the four men in dark suits waiting by the stairs. One looked around his age, and another, the red-haired Victor, looked in his sixties. "Who are they?"

"They're all high-ranked vampires like you but much older." Jenna answered, "They help Gabriella manage the Fourth Layer. Especially Victor, who we met in Vamp City."

The revolving door spun as Stephen Cure entered the building. He adjusted his collar and tightened his tie.

"So this is the strategist behind this whole thing?" Ejiro said quietly. Luo nodded.

"Welcome, everyone." Stephen paused for a moment, looking around for anything unusual.

Nodding to himself, he walked up to Rack and shook his hand. "We are fortunate to have you here, Commander Rack."

"Likewise, Strategist Cure. Let's skip the formalities. What is this meeting about?"

Stephen took a deep breath in. "The Fifth Layer. We will launch the new offensive soon, and I need to consult you in person first."

"Alright, what's up?" James Rack crossed his arms.

"There are only three gates leading to the first layer. Two of which are inaccessible. The one on the western side is too far away, and the one on the northern side is inoperable: they blocked it off."

"So that leaves the one in the southeast then..." Jenna guessed.

"They'll be ready for us," added Luo.

Sophie used a small projector to show an image on the wall to Stephen's right. "Yes, but there is another way in."

They took a few seconds to look at the image. It was a map of the Obscure Guild. "This is the map that Ejiro Sani found. I compiled it with the information that Snoid gave us."

Sophie zoomed in on the Fifth Layer and focused on three red paths. "These are the three secret routes in the southeast which the other Seats do not know about."

Rack approached the projection. "Okay. If I understand correctly, there will be a diversion at the gate while the rest of the army makes a sneak attack? How many can we get through these passages?"

"We can get a lot, but certainly not an entire army. It is why, commander, you will only take two thousand trustworthy soldiers with you. We can't risk there being any spies."

"Is two thousand enough?" Jenna asked. "Don't they have at least as many soldiers as us if we account for the Skeleton Cursed and the inner layer's army?"

Stephen looked her in the eyes. "This is why we will choose the best mages and fighters we got. Jenna, Luo, Ejiro, Bryan, and everyone else in this room apart from Sophie and I, you will be accompanying Commander Rack."

"The vampires will also be going. They have formed a new secure vampire division with Victor as its head."

Luo shook his head. "Wait, hold on, Stephen. How are we going to get our jet across the tunnels? They definitely weren't big enough last time we took one of those secret passages."

Stephen sighed and looked at the floor before making contact again. "Luo Ren, Jenna Angel. You won't be piloting this time around. We need you on the ground."

"Huh?"