chapter three. who's jewel?

|all for us — three — who's jewel?|
" do you and your son fuck people together? "

|all for us — three — who's jewel?|" do you and your son fuck people together? "

|ruminations: big and little bullies|

AFTER ALL THAT STUFF with Cal at Jordan and Fezco's convenience store, Lexi realized there was a reason she never tried to intervene before.

She was an observer. That's who she was. She often imagined that her parents weren't really her parents... and that her sister wasn't her sister... and that her house wasn't even really her house. That it was just a movie. One that she was writing.

Lexi was ambitious. That much me and Jordan both knew and had known for quite some time, ever since we started hanging out together. It had been just me, Jordan, Lexi, and Fez. Lexi didn't hang out with us that often, but when she did, she brought stability to the group. She didn't speak that often. Instead she watched, with a small smile on her face, as if she was watching a comedy movie. Maybe that's what she thought it was.

"My name is Lexi Howard," says Lexi, grinning into the camera, "I am the writer, director, and creator of This is Life."

Jordan and Rue watch her from the set, their arms crossed proudly over their chests. They loved to see how successful Lexi was, and how key their roles were in her... whatever it was she ran.

"Well, the story's about a sixteen-year-old gi-" Lexi begins laughing, "Oh... I'm sorry."

Jordan and Rue laugh at each other. They're both well past high.

"The story's about a sixteen-year-old girl; Grace. She lives in the shadow of her older sister, Hallie. But the story isn't about Hallie, no, no. That's been done before. It's about Grace."

"Yo, Jordan Burns, Rue Bennett!" yells one of the directors, "Get on set!"

Groaning, the duo heads to the makeshift copy of Rue's bedroom. Jordan lays against the bottom of the bed and Rue collapses on top of it. It isn't long before Lexi sneaks in with the BTS camera crew at her heels.

"Action!" she shouts commandingly, and the cameras begin moving around Jordan and Rue, both of which have already forgotten their lines.

"Cut!" huffs Lexi after a few seconds of mindless silence. "Are you two fucking high?"

Somehow, they get the scene done, and Jordan is immediately ushered over to where Lexi had been sitting before when she was conducting her interview. It's Lexi who's leading him around, and she puts a pair of sunglasses over his eyes.