chapter eleven. hereditary

|all for us — eleven — hereditary|
"how's it hanging?"

|all for us — eleven — hereditary|"how's it hanging?"

|post euphoria s2|

JORDAN'S EYES OPEN slowly, his vision blurry at first. It takes him a few seconds to realize he's in a dark hospital room, and a few more seconds to realize why.

He tries to sit up, but looks down at his left shoulder to see that it's in some sort of sling. He sighs, his heart falling rapidly.

Is Ash dead?

Jordan looks to his right, and he jumps as he sees a familiar face in the chair next to his bed, their head buried in their phone.

"Perez?" he whispers weakly, and Maddy looks up, her eyes wide and anxious. She quickly gets up from her chair and takes a place next to his bed.

"Oh, thank God." she mumbles. "You idiot, I thought you were dead."

Jordan points to the heart monitor, which is steady. "Really? You're that stupid?"

"I'm not." she argues, narrowing her eyes, but smiling anyway.

"Uh..." Jordan clears his throat, "did they... how... how many people got out?"

Maddy's face falls, and she looks at the ground, holding her hands tightly together in front of her before looking up again. Jordan practically knows the answer already.

"Two people died." Maddy responds. "One of the officers, I guess, and... you-your brother."

Jordan doesn't know how to react. He hasn't cried in a long time. It's just not something he does. He'd really like to slam his fist into something, but Maddy's the only thing he sees and he can't bring himself to ruin her stupidly perfect face.

"Fuck this stupid..." he clenched his jaw, gripping the bed sheets intensely. "He... He was a kid! W-What the hell were they thinking...?"

Maddy grabs his right hand, the one closest to her, and he lets go of the bed sheets. His head is spinning. He's never felt so confused before. Ash is dead. It's his fault. Maybe not directly, but somehow. Somehow it is.

"It's okay, Jordan." she assures him, brushing her thumb over his knuckles and trying to calm him down. "Everything is going to be okay."

"It's my fault." growls Jordan uneasily. "I'm the reason he's dead. I w-was a terrible influence. I made him grow up too fast. I killed... I killed my little brother."