chapter nine. lexi shakespeare

|all for us — nine — lexi shakespeare|
"come on, bob, don't die on us!"

|all for us — nine — lexi shakespeare|"come on, bob, don't die on us!"

|the theater and its double|

ASH WASN'T A snitch. He made sure everyone knew that. If someone told him something, he wasn't going to go and repeat it. When he heard about Jordan, it just kind of happened. He told Fezco, even though he'd crossed his heart and hoped to die.

To say Fezco was angry was an understatement. It wasn't like he showed it above the surface, but he was enraged. He'd let Jordan go in the first place, and then he'd found out that Jordan had been abused from their younger brother. Why hadn't Jordan told Fezco first?

Nonetheless, Ash had no idea how true he would stay to his word.

✯✯✯

The day before, Rue and Jordan had bought tickets to Lexi's play. Even now, she's telling them she can refund them because they supported her and they were her best friends, but they declined.

"That's what 'best friends' are for." Jordan has assured her (more than twelve times).

Jordan and Rue are sitting at lunch when Lexi strides over, practically jumping with nerves. It's the opening night for her play, and she's clearly very excited. She bites her lip to contain such excitement.

"I just..." she closes her eyes and shakes her head before continuing, "I can't believe I'm actually doing this!"

"I can," says Jordan, "if anyone were to do it, it's you."

Lexi smiles at his words, seemingly flattered. "Well, I hope you guys will be there tonight."

"We already told you we're coming," nods Rue with a small, almost invisible smile. "We can't miss something like that— it sounds sick! Especially if we're the main characters."

Jordan can't help the grin that crossed his face. For one, he can't wait to see his imaginary counterpart on stage. For another, Rue looks much healthier than she has. Jordan can't believe he hasn't noticed her habits until recently, but he can sleep well knowing she's one hundred percent clean.

"So, you'll be there?" Lexi raises a questioning brow, somewhat excitedly, at her friends.

"We'll be there, Lexi." the other two seated at the table say in unison, glancing at one another quickly.

Lexi stands up, waving, before she strides away and navigates her way back out of the cafeteria. Jordan has noticed that sometimes she likes to eat in the library, especially recently with the work of her play.