chapter six. you make me happy

|all for us — six — you make me happy|
" remember where you got that scar. "

|you who cannot see, think of those who can|

JORDAN THOUGHT THAT Nate would reconsider his choice to stay, but when the teens all get in the hot tub, Nate eagerly joins them. His eyes are on Jordan the entire time, especially when Maddy pulls him down next to her.

Cassie, who is tangled in balloons and very clearly well past drunk, stumbles onto the deck, trying to pull the balloons off of her. Jordan watches with a grimace, as does Lexi, who is inside staring out. Cassie giggles loudly as she gets closer to the hot tub, and B.B. and Kat watch her in amusement as she wanders over.

"Hi," laughs Kat.

Cassie gets into the hot tub, and as she does so, she falls onto Nate, holding onto his shoulder to steady himself. Jordan tries to ignore Nate's harsh glare on his face.

"It's okay," Nate says to Cassie, helping her sit down beside him. Kat laughs again.

"Happy birthday." beams Cassie in Maddy's direction.

"Thank you," drawls Maddy, playing with her nails.

"So, Maddy, question of the week." B.B. says, looking at the birthday girl. "Which man is it?"

"Are you high?" questions Maddy solemnly.

"Maybe," replies B.B., "but that doesn't answer my question."

"Me and Nate aren't back together." states Maddy, glancing at Jordan quickly.

"You're not?" speaks Cassie shyly.

"No." answers Nate quickly, shaking his head. Maddy straightens.

"I mean, I was gonna say no, but why are you saying no?" she tilts her head at him, and he looks up from the water.

"Uh... because we're not?"

"I know, but why are you so definitive about it?"

"I wasn't being definitive."

"It sounded like it." snaps Maddy bitterly.

"No, I mean," Nate tries frantically to explain himself, reddening as he sees an amused Jordan, "she just asked a question-"

"That you didn't have to answer." interrupts Maddy.

"Oh, okay. Yeah."

"But you did."

Kat looks at Jordan, and he returns her gaze.

"I don't understand what we're arguing about." states Nate obliviously. To be completely truthful, Jordan was pretty oblivious as well.

"You and your tone." snarls Maddy.

"But... we're not back together." Nate insists, and Maddy lets a small, victorious grin cross her face. Nate falters. "What? I mean, you literally said you were gonna say no."