chapter fourteen. mckay's rager

|all for us — fourteen — mckay's rager|
"i would've said yes because I'm horny."

THE FIRST THING Jordan sees when he wakes up on Friday morning is Rue, standing over his bed with a text message

chris mckay
Yo it's my last day in town

chris mckay
You and Smoke needa pull up

Rue
I'll let him know

Jordan hasn't spoken to Maddy since they got into that argument on Monday. She's gotten all of her friends, including Kat, to ignore him. Jordan still sits with Rue at lunch, although whenever he looks over at Maddy, she's looking in the opposite direction.

She's blocked him on everything, as well. Every option he has to talk to her has been exhausted. She won't even glance at him.

"Just forget about it." Rue tells him at lunch that day, trying to be as assuring as possible. "Girls are really complicated."

"Thanks, Rue." Jordan rolls his eyes, trying to catch Maddy's eye once more. His attempt fails. "Fuck."

"She'll be at McKay's party tonight." Rue tells him absentmindedly, stabbing at the salad on her plate blandly. "You can talk to her there. Maybe."

"Yeah." he mumbles in response, still craning his neck in her direction. "Maybe."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm single, too." she shrugs, and Jordan frowns at her. They make eye contact, and Rue breaks into a small grin. "Doesn't that make you feel better?"

"You're insane." Rue's grin widens a little at his words.

✯✯✯

Jordan likes parties, he can't deny that. He doesn't like making his way through hot bodies that are often pressed together, front to back. He cringes as he pushes past one of McKay's little brothers trying to talk up a girl much older than him.

McKay, standing in the kitchen, sees Jordan and waves him over. After glancing around briefly to make sure Nate isn't anywhere near them, he advances towards his former best friend.

"There you are, man!" grins McKay drunkenly, handing Jordan a Solo. "Time to get fucked."

Jordan raises his brows as he drinks from the cup, immediately winding at the sharp taste. "You say that like it's a good thing."

"Getting plastered is always a good thing. Hey, your girl is here. She's fucking up my floor with Kat."

Jordan turns around immediately, squinting towards the large body of people in McKay's living room. Indeed, Maddy and Kat have their hands intertwined, laughing happily together.