Chapter 1 - Spotted

Heavy platform boots stomped down the cracked grey pavement. Decorative silver chains bounced gently against her black cargo trousers; she lifted her hands to zip up the old leather jacket she wore, and the stacks of bracelets adorning her wrists moved and sang out gently.

Everything about her was melodic.

Her musicality was unavoidable as she made her way through the streets of London; it was difficult for a stranger in a crowd not to turn and observe her oblivious rhythm once they heard those chains rattle past - even if only for a mere second.

But of course, it's London; once it's seen, it's forgotten, making room for far more important things. Turn your head and keep on walking, stranger. Go back to your world.
She's in her own.
She could barely hear the sounds resonating off of her thanks to the music that blasted through her headphones, motivating every step she took. Empowering her; engulfing her.

"I love playin' with fire
I don't wanna get burned
I love playin' with fire
Don't think I'll ever learn."

The music continued with her bold strides, accompanying her on her journey until she finally reached her destination - Aphrodite's Dream. She thought the name made it sound much cooler than it truly was, although it was the perfect place for her.
Aphrodite's Dream was a photography shop, selling camera equipment and a large variety of beautiful prints that she had to convince herself not to buy...

Maybe just a few to decorate my bedroom with, she thought to herself as she perused the aisles carefully. She carried herself over to a display case full of shiny new cameras... I could stare at them all day, she found herself thinking as her arms crossed comfortably over her chest. In the time that she did stand staring at them, however, she hadn't noticed the man whose eye she had caught.

She didn't notice him hesitantly approaching her, nor did she hear him clearing his throat and asking her, "Excuse me ma'am, do you need anything?"
He could see the headphones clamped over her ears. It wouldn't be surprising if he could hear the music pounding through them as he proceeded to tap her on the shoulder. Her eyebrows furrowed questioningly before she turned to face him, reluctantly tugging the headphones down to rest around her neck alongside a studded choker.

"Sorry?" She frowned as she looked the stranger up and down, taking a second to conclude that he was, in fact, an employee.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" He pressed his lips together in a smile that she read as disingenuous; a smile with eyes that said 'I noticed your appearance from across the room and couldn't help but be uneasy'. A look that reminded her of her skin and her attire and the fact that not every strangers stolen glance was one of pure curiosity or even flat out confusion.

Confusion is one thing. Suspicion is another.

"No thanks." She simply shook her head with a tight lipped smile of her own, turning her attention back to the display.

"If you're looking for a camera, I'd be happy to help you choose - something for a good price, with a versatile lens-"

"I already know what I'm looking for, actually." She interrupted without even turning to glance at him, her eyes focused on the exact camera on her mind - the one that she'd been wanting for weeks - before she turned and glanced at him blankly. "Can I get that one?" She pointed through the glass, ignoring the seemingly uncertain look on his face. She had to keep herself from rolling her eyes as she watched him hesitate before he grabbed the keys from his pocket and unlocked the case.

"This is an excellent choice, ma'am." He gawped as he took hold of the camera in question and admired it momentarily. "It's quite pricy, though-"

"Yeah I know." She nodded with furrowed eyebrows, seeing him shift on his feet uncomfortably. "It's the one I want. Can I get it or not?" She crossed her arms again, and he nervously nodded. "Sick. I have to look for more stuff, so you can keep that behind the till for me if it makes you feel better." She squinted her eyes in a sarcastic smile whilst gesturing towards the camera in his hands, holding back a mischievous smirk as she saw the slight panic and embarrassment twist into his reddening face.