Chapter 36 - Switch

Considering how the breaking spell had impacted Rosemary before, she should have known it wouldn't be so easy to hide her decision from Luke... She'd stopped taking the potion and within a week, she could feel the difference. But she told herself she wouldn't be turning back. In terms of telling Luke the truth - she'd cross that bridge when she came to it.

It was just over a week after Sebastian's escape when those side effects started to present themselves again. First, it was the dreams; thankfully, no magic, no doors opening and no bleeding nose at that point... But when she woke up with a start at Luke's side, he had questions that she didn't want to answer.

"What's wrong? What happened?" He asked softly and carefully, gently rubbing a hand on her back after she'd sat up abruptly and tried to catch her breath.

"I... I just had a weird dream." She breathed out, rubbing her hand under her nose instinctually and feeling relief at the realisation that no blood had escaped. This time.

"Is it... Your memories?" Luke frowned uncertainly, feeling her tense slightly beneath his touch.

"...No." She shook her head after a moment of hesitation. "I think it's just a stress dream. I'm fine." She reassured... He could sense her heart racing ten to the dozen.

"What did you see, Rose?"

"I don't even remember, now. It's fine, don't worry." She cleared her throat, shifting back into a laying position and urging Luke to do the same. "Lay with me, please."

Luke certainly didn't look entirely sure of her response, but he felt it was wrong to probe any further... Instead, he held her close and let her fall back asleep in his arms, hoping she experienced nothing but peace in that deep slumber.

That dream was, of course, a memory. The same reoccurring flashback she'd been having before... She told herself she could handle it. However, she didn't consider what she'd tell Luke when those dreams did end up triggering her magic; whether or not the dream was a memory wouldn't matter. The nosebleeds and doors opening spoke before she could.

He was undeniably unsettled when it happened again for the first time. It had been weeks since the last... His first question was whether that potion had worn off. He didn't even think to doubt his girl. And she wasn't ready, yet, to tell him what was really going on.
Instead, like a fool, she let him believe that the potion must've been wearing off on its own - let him contact Helena.
Only for Helena to tell him that the potion couldn't just... Wear off. Not on its own - not unless you simply stop taking it.

Which was of course exactly what Rosemary had done.

Luke decided not to mention it immediately... He waited until those side effects presented themselves again, in his own bedroom around 3am, until he told Rosemary what Helena had said. Her face said it all... and Luke's face fell.

"...Rosemary..." He frowned, looking doubtful but also disappointed, which made Rosemary's chest tighten immediately. "Are you... Are you taking the potion?" The way he asked the question - somewhat hopeful but mostly fearful - made it clear that he already knew the answer. He just didn't want it to be true. And she didn't want to answer; she shook her head silently, avoiding his eyes.

His eyes were so beautiful, but she couldn't stand that saddened look they'd taken on as he processed the situation.

"...Why?" He finally muttered after a moment of contemplative silence. Rosemary struggled to think of her answer for a moment. Why?

"I don't want to be like this anymore." She croaked out, eyes glued to the floor, jaw tensing. Luke frowned confusedly. "I don't like the dreams and the nosebleeds, but I don't like being... Subdued, like that. I don't want to be powerless, Luke."