Chapter 15 - Up Close

Photo above is an original edit by me. Enjoy the chapter :)

-

After having a small bite to eat and officially planning their next date, Luke kindly escorted Rosemary home; they took a long walk together, intertwining their hands and talking the whole way. Rosemary spoke about how long she'd known Vera - since they were teenagers - and how they were so different, but such good friends. She spoke about how Vera was the talkative one, the approachable one, the responsible one. Meanwhile, Rosemary had a tendency to be reserved, closed off and - at times - rather reckless. This, along with other circumstances, made Vera protective over Rosemary.

Although he hadn't met Vera, Luke appreciated the insight into their friendship. He spoke of his own friendship - with Michael, who Rosemary was also yet to formally meet. He explained, to an extent, that he'd known him for his 'whole life'... he didn't go into detail about just how long that was... and how Michael 'balanced him out'. Rosemary was surprised to hear Luke say that Michael was the 'fun' one, whilst Luke was the 'serious' one - or, as Michael might say, the boring one.

"Boring?" Rosemary frowned, and Luke nodded. "I don't think you're boring." All the interactions she'd had with him so far certainly felt like fun to her, for a variety of reasons...

"Well, thank you, I don't think so either... I do get it, though. I used to be more fun, but... stuff happened, and I- I kind of just shut off. Didn't speak as much, didn't laugh as much... Michael did the opposite, kind of as a coping mechanism, I think. He tried to be positive and I guess I couldn't help but be the negative one." Luke breathed out, shocking himself with his own explanation - he wasn't really one to talk about himself.

"You don't seem negative to me... I don't know, though, because I can be quite negative myself, so maybe I just don't notice it." She shrugged with an endearing smile, and Luke smiled down at her.

"Maybe you're right. Maybe two negatives make a positive." He raised an eyebrow, making Rosemary tilt her head in consideration. "Or maybe I'm just not as negative around you."

"Am I that powerful?" She nudged him jokingly, letting out a soft laugh as he bit the corner of his lip in thought.

"I think so." He nodded, knowing deep down that he meant it.

Once they reached Rosemarys door, Luke was disappointed at the thought of having to say goodbye... Their hands were still intertwined, and Luke once again brought hers to his lips to leave a gentle kiss.

"Luke..." She spoke as he lowered her hand, her eyes finding the floor momentarily as Luke watched her face curiously. "I don't mean to sound forward - and I'm not usually one to say that." She made herself chuckle slightly, and Luke smiled in amusement but furrowed his eyebrows, intrigued at what she had to say. "But do you think you could... stay over? Just to keep me company for the night - if you want, I mean. You don't have to." She cleared her throat, and Luke almost found himself frowning at the unusual uncertainty in her voice and body language.

"Of course I can." He nodded, his hands moving to rest on her waist comfortingly. She bit back a smile as she looked up at him, her eyes clearly lighting up with a sense of earnest joy - and even relief - at his answer.

"Thank you." She grinned, placing her hands on his chest and tip toeing so that she could place a grateful kiss on his cheek.

For the rest of the night, they sat on her sofa together, talking and watching all sorts on the TV; Luke had to ignore his primal hunger, knowing he'd gone without blood since the morning and would definitely need some as soon as he got home the next day... he offset the cravings by consuming sweets and drinks that Rosemary thankfully had to offer.