Chapter 24 - Buried

Luke screamed out Michael's name, hugging Rosemary to his blood splattered chest. He felt sick to his stomach, sat there in the dark begging for help with nobody in sight; Victor had chosen the right spot for his attack, a side street somewhere in between Luke's apartment and The Vault, somewhere only vampires tended to venture. Most of which were too busy in The Vault to be bothered by the sound of screams that night... and Luke feared that his previous text to Michael had made him leave when Luke needed him there most.

Thankfully, Michael hadn't checked his phone immediately - by the time he'd read the text and decided to get a move on, Victor's heart was being ripped out. After all, it had only been a span of minutes since the text was received... It all happened so fast.
Michael walked out of his door in time to hear the helpless yells of his friend, and didn't hesitate to take himself to where those yells came from, appearing in front of Luke with a horrified look on his face.

"Oh my god, Luke-" He blurted out, only for Luke to shake his head at him, his face deathly pale, coated in sweat and speckled with blood.

"Help her." He croaked out and Michael stared at the unconscious girl laid across him. He'd never seen her so up close and he certainly hadn't expected to see her... like that. "Please." Luke insisted, making Michael frantically nod before leaning down and lifting Rosemary's limp body up easily, one hand behind her knees and the other around her shoulders with her head flopping against him. He looked at Luke with grave concern after taking in the sight of her.

"Is she- is she okay?"

"I don't know." Luke muttered, forcing himself achingly to his feet and having to hold onto the wall for support as he stopped to cough, spitting excess blood out of his mouth.

"Are you okay?" Michael frowned, watching Luke slowly begin to walk in a way that made it clear that he was struggling.

"I'll be okay. We need to get inside." As Michael turned to follow Luke towards the apartment, he saw the body on the ground a few feet away... he'd seen it as he came over, but he hadn't noticed who it was. He froze in his steps when he realised.

"Fuck." He breathed out, scanning over the mess - Victor's body and the bloodied and broken pipe less than two meters away. "Victor did this?" Luke nodded silently. "...You... Did you-"

"I didn't have a choice." Luke said before hissing in a breath, holding a hand to his aching abdomen. "He did this to himself."

On the way into the apartment, Luke vaguely explained what had happened - Victor attacked him with a pole, then went after Rosemary. Luke struggled to even think about the moment that he was stuck on the ground, impaled whilst Rosemary choked and suffocated in the air at the hands of Victor... The way Victor's face transformed, the fear on her face as he dreaded what would come next... He was truly terrified that he was about to watch her die.

Seeing the perpetual discomfort on Luke's face, Michael decided to carefully ask what had happened... Even assuring Luke that he didn't have to talk about it yet, if he didn't want to. Luke drearily shook his head and began to explain what had happened - or at least, as much as he could with the little energy that he had.

Michael was shocked by the entire scenario - as well as being incredibly concerned by the terrible state that his friend had been left in as he struggled to even walk and talk in a stable manner.
Inside of the apartment, Michael laid Rosemary down on the sofa before rushing to the fridge and grabbing a blood bag for Luke who was leaning weakly against a nearby wall.

"Michael, no-" Luke began as Michael offered him the blood.

"Luke, no offence but you look like shit." Michael interrupted, making Luke scowl slightly. Michael wasn't wrong - Luke's clammy skin was a sickly pale shade, the underneath of his eyes looking almost grey whilst his lips were chapped and white. "You need blood right now. You're weak and I'm trying to help you."