Chapter 20 - Reverie

Photo above is an original edit by me. Please enjoy this chapter :)

-

The embrace was short, as were the smiles on both mens faces. Upon stepping away from Luke, Calum's eyes caught sight of the person still sat at the bar. At first, he didn't register what he'd seen. He looked back at Luke, prepared to speak to his friend who he hadn't seen in years, only for his warm smile to fade from his face as he returned his gaze to the bar... to Rosemary.

Luke impulsively followed Calum's gaze and felt his own face drop when he realised the jarring situation that he'd suddenly found himself in. In his mind, it occurred to him that Calum would know Rosemarys face in the same way that he had on the night they met. The photo albums that Luke scoured through time and time again were enough for him to make the connection to the Laveau's, but Calum? He'd met them face to face.

Luke could see the recognition in Calum's eyes; it was as if he'd seen a ghost. Then, Calum looked back at him again with a look that made Lukes stomach turn. Meanwhile, Rosemary had just been sipping her drink before she innocently looked up at the pair and then furrowed her eyebrows at the suddenly serious looks on both of their faces. She took a moment to scan Calums face, curious about the new person in her presence.

"Sorry, I- I didn't know Luke had company." Calum cleared his throat as he glanced at Rosemary again, lips pressing together awkwardly. "Luke, you're not gonna introduce us?" He looked back at his friend, his jaw tensing slightly as he tried to smile, his eyebrows still slightly furrowed.

Luke felt a sudden pain in his chest, like a rock sinking to the bottom of a lake, when he saw the tense look on Calum's face. When he realised that Calum had just laid eyes on the person he'd supposedly been searching for - the person that Luke had been keeping a secret from him. "...Uh... Calum, this is Rosemary. Rosemary... Calum."

"Nice to meet you, Calum." She smiled up at the man dressed in black and stuck her hand out to shake his; he looked down unsurely before he reciprocated the gesture.

"And you... Rosemary." He nodded, smiling in a way that Luke recognised as uncomfortable. For the short time that Calum maintained eye contact with Rosemary, she managed to get a better look at him and her eyebrows stitched together slightly.

"Have we met before?" Her sudden question made Calum's face stiffen, and Luke's face transformed from anxious and unsure to quickly confused.

"Uh. No, I don't think so." Calum tilted his head slightly, stealing a nervous glance at Luke before looking back at Rosemary's curious face - she wasn't convinced. Calum could see the cogs turning in her mind to put the pieces together. "Maybe I just have one of those faces." He shrugged dismissively, dropping his eyes to the floor in reservation.

"...Maybe." She nodded, picking up her glass and taking another sip. "You really do look familiar, though." Her curious smile made Calum unsure of how to react; impulsively, he looked at Luke. Their eyes locked, Luke disturbed at the thought that he was missing something whilst Calum clenched his jaw again.

"Strange." He muttered out, looking at the floor and clearing his throat. "Y'know, I actually have to go." He nodded to himself, shoving his hands into his pockets and backing away from the bar.

"You- you do?" Luke stammered, stepping towards his friend who was struggling not to walk out of the club right there and then.

"Yeah, I do." Calum began to walk away backwards, a distant look in his eyes which found Rosemary once again - seeing her eyes now on Luke... "It was... nice meeting you, Rosemary." He smiled softly, and she did the same once she looked back at him.