Chapter 25 - The Truth

Photo above is an original edit by me. Please enjoy this chapter :)

-

Luke could barely even process the idea of telling Rosemary the truth in that moment... what that would mean. For him, for her, for them... but what other option was there? He couldn't exactly explain away what happened that night outside his house, from Victor's unforeseen attack to his own fatal - and no longer present - injury, Rosemary couldn't possibly accept any explanation other than the truth. She'd have to find out what Victor was... what Luke was. And that terrified him.

He had to take time out of the room to get his thoughts together. Leaving Rosemary wasn't easy, but no easier would it be if she'd have woken up before he was prepared to talk about it.
Part of him believed that, if that happened, he'd have no choice but to run away - for a moment, he believed that would be better for her.
It was Michael who walked in and refused to let him wallow in that dark perspective, no matter how tempting.

"Luke." Michael spoke softly from the doorway of Luke's bedroom, gaining Luke's attention from where he sat on the edge of his bed. "Crazy night, huh?" He quirked an eyebrow, making Luke left out a soft but unenthusiastic laugh.

"That's putting it lightly." Luke muttered as Michael wandered over, pulling a chair away from the desk Luke had on the other side of the room and positioning it in front of Luke. Casually, he spun the chair around and straddled it, crossing his arms atop the backrest.

"What's on your mind, Hemmo?" Luke's eyebrows twitched slightly at the nickname... he hadn't heard it in years.

"You really wanna know?"

"I mean, yeah, that's why I asked." Michael pursed his lips, only making Luke sigh... He hesitated to answer and Michael's expression softened considerately. "You know you can talk to me."

"I know." Luke ran his hands over his face tiredly, pushing his fingers back through his curls with a huff and shaking his head gently to himself. "I'm just... I'm scared." Michael was somewhat taken aback by the confession - Luke was not the type to be scared. Not anymore, at least... "I'm scared for Rosemary to know what I am."

"...You really care about her, don't you?" Michael's face was one of deep, thoughtful care and consideration. None of his typical sarcasm or playfulness to be found. Luke nodded, biting the inside of his cheek and closing his eyes with a deep breath as if letting that solemn feeling wash over him.

"I know I haven't known her for long... but, I don't know, there's just a connection that I can't explain and I-" Luke let his hands fall to his sides, grimacing to himself slightly as he stared down at his pale hands. For a brief second, he could've sworn they were covered in blood again. He took a deep breath. "I don't wanna lose this... I don't wanna lose her."

"Who says you're gonna lose her?" Luke looked up at his friend with furrowed brows.

"If she knows what I am..."

"You know you couldn't keep it a secret from her forever." Michael reminded, making Luke's jaw tense.

"I know that, but- I just- I never thought-" A frustrated sigh interrupted his stumbling words. "Not like this..." His voice was quiet, trying not to show his pain - but Michael could hear it. He could see it, too, in his saddened ocean eyes. "You didn't see her, when Victor had a hold of her... and she saw his face... she was so scared. And what if she looks at me like that, Mike? What if she's scared of me?" Michael immediately shook his head at those words.

"You're nothing like him, Luke, don't be ridiculous-"

"We're the same creature. We're capable of the same thing-"