Chapter 37 - Inside Out

Luke knew that Rosemary wasn't herself that night. Not the Rosemary that he knew. But he had no idea what to do about it... He felt a pit in his stomach when he left her apartment, wishing he hadn't left her alone - knowing he had to because he didn't want to push her boundaries, to upset her any more. Wanting so badly to just be by her side and help, in some way or another.

The choice to leave was tough but he had to accept it, telling himself it was for the best... telling himself that he'd get through to her, eventually. She just needed time and space. He just needed a little help.

It would come as a surprise to nobody that Luke looked at this difficult situation with his struggling witch girlfriend and go straight to Helena, of all people, for support. He could've spoken to Michael, or Calum, but Helena of course had that special insight. They all knew that Rosemary was no longer subduing the side effects of that breaking potion... They all knew the risks that it came with, as explained by Helena. But nobody thought it would get that bad, that quickly.

Helena was shocked when she found out what had happened. "She must be more powerful than we realised..." She murmured under her breath after Luke's explanation, piquing his curiosity. "It's one thing for her powers to spike in a blackout state. It's another for things- different things- to keep happening once she's awake. The doors, the lights, the-..." Helena paused, unsure of what words to use as she glanced at Luke's forlorn face. He sighed.

"I don't think she even meant to do it..." He muttered, rubbing his temple as if remembering that pain she'd unexpectedly caused him.

"I'm sure she didn't, Luke. She's powerful, yes, but I don't think she's in control." Helena reassured, watching Luke look up at her solemnly.

"That's all she wants." He spoke quietly. "She just wants to take some control back, and I understand that... After what Sebastian did to her... But I just wish she wouldn't sacrifice herself for it." Helena didn't have a good response. She simply frowned and nodded understandingly. "And the side effects are one thing, but on top of it all she just seems so... So upset. But not sad, I mean like- like she's angry."

"Wouldn't you be?" Helena raised an eyebrow, making Luke scoff gently to himself, still frowning.

"I'd be worse. I've been worse." He admitted, running a hand through his hair tiredly.

"She's been worse, too." A voice piped up from the doorway, turning both Helena and Luke's eyes in that direction to find Calum standing there. His expression was solemn but sure - knowing he had valuable insight. Luke and Helena were curious.

Calum walked over to where they sat at the kitchen table, ready to talk but not quite ready to sit with them. "Back when I knew her, she... She had some serious, serious anger issues. She could manage them a lot of the time, but when she couldn't-... Listen, I don't want to put out her personal issues, but she's... Been through a lot more than you guys realise. More than she even knows, at this point. I just know that it really weighed on her back then, and there were times that she would just... Snap. She'd lash out, scream, break things, and with her powers..." Calum frowned to himself as he thought about the past. "She could do some damage. But it was mainly herself that she was putting in danger."

The explanation was saddening to hear but it made sense to Luke... That side of her that came out in front of him barely an hour earlier somewhat fit with what Calum was saying. He hadn't considered that perhaps it wasn't just her acting out because of the difficult circumstances - that it was a glimpse of her past self making an appearance along with her powers. Two things that had both been stolen from her.

"Putting herself in danger... Is that what Sebastian meant, when he said he's keeping her safe? From herself?"

"It's probably what he tells himself... He thinks he's done this for her sake. And as far as I can tell, it seems like he took away whatever it was that made her so... Angry."