Chapter 21 - Thin Walls

Photo above is an original edit by me. Please enjoy this chapter :)

-

Rosemary was stood in the kitchen with a visibly absent look on her face when Vera approached her. It was early in the morning and she was in the process of making herself a coffee but ended up zoning out whilst waiting for the kettle to boil.

"Hey Ro, how are you feeling?" Vera asked, snapping Rosemary out of her thoughtless trance.

"Uh- I'm good, actually. Better than last night, that's for sure." She nodded, looking around the kitchen momentarily and then grabbing her flask from the kitchen table and making her coffee.

"Yeah, what was that'd by the way? You had me kind of scared." Vera frowned, retrieving her own mug to fill with tea.

"Oh I had the worst migraine. Probably because I hadn't drank enough water, or gotten enough sleep... I slept like a rock last night, though." It was true - to her own surprise, Rosemary slept peacefully and dreamlessly. "It's just been a long week and I guess I just blanked out a bit."

"That reminds me, actually - how were things while I was away?" Vera leaned against the counter with her freshly made cup of tea. Rosemary paused to herself, leaving her flask open on the counter whilst thinking of how to answer that question...

"Things were... interesting." For a moment, she looked around as if checking that it was just herself and Vera stood in the kitchen. "I had that same dream, like, every other night. Every time I did, I woke up to doors and even windows open, so I had to make sure everything was locked... I was scared someone would get in because of my stupid sleepwalking. Or me getting out, y'know?" She let out a nervous chuckle, scratching her face and shrugging. Despite her attempt to be lighthearted about it, she could see the concerned look on Vera's face. Rosemary sighed, her eyes falling to the floor. "...I just want it to stop."

"It will." Vera softly reassured, earning a doubtful look from Rosemary. "I mean... This happened before, and then it went away. I'm sure that can happen again." Rosemary silently nodded, pursing her lips in deep thought. "...I'm sorry for leaving you alone to deal with it, though." Vera admitted quietly, and Rosemary shook her head gently.

"It's okay, Vera. I wasn't actually completely alone." A soft smile appeared on her lips and Vera raised a curious eyebrow. "...So I spent some time with that guy I've been speaking to."

"Oh my god yeah, you still have to tell me more about him." Vera grinned, reaching over and playfully poking her friend in the arm. "You saw him last night, right?"

"I did." Rosemary smiled wholeheartedly, Lukes face playing on her mind. "He's really cute, Vera."

"How did you guys meet?"

"At a club called The Vault. I went to see a performance and he was in the band." Rosemary watched as Vera tilted her head and blurted out 'oh.'  "Yeah, I know right? He actually walked me home that night and if I'm being honest, I've kind of been obsessed with him since then." She giggled, lifting her hand and gently biting her thumb nail.

"What's he like? He better treat you right." Vera tone was jokingly stern, taking a sip of her tea as she watched Rosemarys fond expression.

"He's lovely, actually. He went to that gig with me last week... and he actually came back here afterwards-"

"Oh really?" Vera raised her eyebrows suggestively, seeing Rosemary bite back a mischievous smirk.

"Mhm." She nodded, avoiding Vera's eyes for a moment. She titled her head, pursing her lips to herself before looking back at Vera. "You'll be surprised to find that we didn't fuck."