Chapter 39 - Deep Cut

A white flash filled the room. Light saturated their vision, blinding them, interrupting the ongoing conflict as shock and confusion overcame them. As the ringing in their ears lessened, their vision remained blurred and they could only rely on their hearing; footsteps were entering the room. Rushing in. Then, Luke felt hands reaching out and grabbing his arms - not to fight, but to find something to hold onto.

Instinctively, Luke lifted his hands and tried to shove that other figure away - he realised it was that brick house of a man he'd been fighting with when he heard him grunt as he was shoved backwards. Luke was stumbling backwards in a panic when he heard the man choke on his own breath... When he smelled blood...

There seemed to be the sound of struggles around the room, yells, hits landing and then Luke sensed a body get closer to him. Even through his diminished eyesight, he could see the threatening body language of whoever it was - a weapon in their hand. He didn't hesitate to throw his hands up defensively, noticing the person lift their arms and quickly rushing towards them. He grabbed them by the shoulder, jerking his head back and landing two consecutive head-butts that knocked the man to the floor.

"Rosemary!" He yelled out desperately as soon as he was free of that - now unconscious - attacker, trying again to move towards the bar as he tried to listen out and navigate his way to her. But then he felt something suddenly wrap around his neck... A rope.

Quickly, he grabbed the restraint, feeling himself stumble backwards as he was pulled abruptly. His first instinct was to yell out in frustration, his face transforming into an enraged scowl as he pulled the rope right back - so hard that the person restraining him was tugged over his shoulder and slammed to the floor with a grunt.

Only then was his eyesight returning, but it did nothing to protect him from the sudden searing pain that shot through his skull, bringing a pained yell from his lips as he doubled over and nearly fell to his knees.

His eyes were squeezed shut in a wince when he heard a familiar voice come from in front of him...

"The tables have turned, haven't they?" The amusement was clear in his voice. Luke managed to open his eyes just slightly enough to look up and see Sebastian's spiteful face above him. Those cuffs that stifled his magic were gone, and his tense hand was held out towards Luke - twisting and clenching as if he was actually taking Luke's brain and squeezing it in his palm. "Let's make this easy, Luke. I take my sister with me and you get to walk out of this place alive. Now, where is she?"

Whilst Luke struggled against Sebastian's power, Rosemary was cowers behind the bar beside Michael. As soon as he'd escaped the vampires and hunters who were working against them - leaning them to fight one another, to draw useless blood - he made his way towards Rosemary on the floor and began to remove the cloth and ropes that gagged and bound her.

His eyes still burned from the flash but he didn't let it slow him down; he did his best to free her whilst she did her best to make as little noise as possible, although the way her heart was racing relentlessly in her chest made it difficult. She could hear it pounding in her ears like a thousand drums and it overpowered the sound of her own distressed breathing that escaped as soon as Michael removed the cloth from her dry mouth.

"We're gonna get you out of here." Michael whispered to her as he took her shaking hand in his reassuringly. She could hear the nerves in his voice, though. She could see speckles of blood splattered on his face and she couldn't bring herself to speak - it didn't even feel possible for her to open her mouth to do anything but hyperventilate and whimper.

While her mind was on whether or not she was going to make it out of that place alive, it was also on Luke... She could hear him fighting. She could hear his pain. And she could hear Sebastian's wretched voice. Her stomach was a horrid knot at the realisation of what was happening on the other side of that bar...