Warmth in a Cold Place

A new monster towered above you and Sans, looking down on you with calculative curiosity. He was a skeleton, like Sans, with cracks on either side of his skull. One went from his left socket and up to the top of his skull. That socket drooped, paralyzed due to the crack. The other socket had a crack that went down to his teeth. Sans pupils shrunk. "d-dad!" He pushed you behind himself in a futile attempt to hide/protect you. "w-what are you doing here?" He smiled as if there was nothing wrong, but he knew he was so screwed. "I took the day off to spend time with my sons, but one of them wasn't home. So. Why ARE you hiding a human in the forest?" Sans dad asked. You blinked. Sans dad. You never met him before. Maybe if you were nice and polite like you were taught then he would be nice as well? "i swear, she's not like other humans! she's a great friend and only a child! she's younger than me! don't kill her!" Sans pleaded. You, in the meantime, had slipped by your friend and up to the tall monster. "Excuse me."

❄❄❄❄❄❄

Gaster's gaze switched from Sans to the human. She held out her hand to him. And to his surprise, it was the left one. Most children her age always mixed that up. He knelt down and took her hand to shake. Her fingers looped through the hole in his palm. He noticed the tell tale signs of frostbite on them. "I am [Y/N] [L/N]. It is nice to meet you, Sans dad." She stated as if she'd drilled the words hundreds of times. Sans shuffled nervously in place, his sockets pleading for Gaster to have mercy. "I am Doctor W.D. Gaster, the pleasure is mine, young one." They released from the shake and Gaster stood up again. "Your human is freezing, Sans. Are you bringing her with us or not?" He liked how polite she was. Maybe things would turn out better than Chara and Asriel's 'story'. Sans perked. "yes dad!" Gaster chuckled and pivoted around. "Then come on. Grillby and Papyrus are waiting." Sans took the girl's hand and they shared excited smiles. It amused Gaster to no end. This new little experiment of his would turn out to be very, very interesting..

❄❄❄❄❄❄

Grillby was waking baby Papyrus up from a nap when the bell chimed, either signaling the return of Gaster and Sans or signaling a new customer into his bar. It turned out to be the earlier as Gaster Opened the fire exit for his youngest and- a human child.. "ya can hang your coat here, than you can sit on the couch and grillbz can make you something to eat." Sans was saying as he removed his jacket and hung it. She followed his lead and even took off her boots before following Sans to the couch, the latter teasing her for being short. She puffed reddened [S/C] cheeks, shooting him a playful glare with [E/C] eyes. Her [H/L] [H/C] hair was a mess of twigs. "Sans found a new project." Gaster said as he came to check on his youngest and hold him. "I see that." Grillby replied. "Is that why he's been acting strange as of late?" Gaster nodded. "He and that human have gotten close. I think that perhaps if the others see those two together, things will get better. I can't help but feel hopeful when I watch them interact." The two looked at the children who were wrestling. Sans was winning, but the girl didn't seem to care. "I... can see what you mean."

❄❄❄❄❄❄

Sans pinned you, panting. "hey, wanna meet grillby and my baby bro?" You were also breathing heavily, but smiled brightly and nodded nonetheless. "YES!" Sans rolled off the couch and onto his feet, holding a hand out to you. You took it and he jerked you to your feet. You stumbled into him. "clumsy." You glared at him. "Am not!" He laughed and waved your retort off, walking away. "sure ya aren't. just be careful around him, k? ya don't wanna have a bad time, right?" You nodded and followed Sans over. He took a swaddled baby skeleton in his arms and you were greeted with walking fire. "Hello, young one. I am Grillby." He held his hand out as you had done with Mr- Dr- Gaster. You took it and shook. "I am [Y/N] [L/N]. It is nice to meet you, Grillby." You drilled as you'd been taught... for potential adopters. Grillby looked as surprised as Dr. Gaster had. "Well, you ARE very polite, [Y/N]. Would you like anything to eat?" You nodded enthusiastically. "YES PLEASE!!!" He laughed. "What would you like?" You pondered, but didn't know. "Anything will do."

❄❄❄❄❄❄

Grillby nodded and left to make you something while Sans came up to you. "[Y/N], this is papyrus." You waved to the skeleton baby, who gave a wide smile and "NYEH!"
"Hi Papyrus! Nice to meet you!" You were greeted with more 'Nyehs'. He seemed to like that strange little word. "wanna hold him?" You backed up. "I don't know how.." He walked back up to you. "i'll show ya." He showed you how to support the head and bottom of the baby, cradling him in the crook of your elbow. spoon you were holding him and even gently swaying back and forth because you thought he'd like it. "see, your a natural." Sans praised. "I'm hungry.." You replied to which you both snickered. Gaster eventually came to save the day as Papyrus started to cry. "It seems Papyrus agrees with your statement." He claimed as he took the baby. "grillby should be done soon. how you feeling? not so cold?" You nodded. "Yeah! Much better now!" He mussed up your already messy hair. "cool, now you can finally take a bath! you stink, shortie!" Before you could retort, Grillby called you and Sans to food.