Resurfaced

The next day wasn't so eventful more as it was you trying to catch up on sleep and eating some of whatever you had left of your snacks. The day after, you decided to go to Grillby's, and naturally Sans was coming with. "see my old pal with you? sounds like a plan to me." He said, picking up his axe casually and propping it on his shoulder. You smiled and scrambled to get your coat and shoes on and practically bounced towards Sans location by the front door. "hold your horses girly, your way to excited. what's the occasion?" Sans teased as he opened the door for you. You leapt out of the house and into the snow. "It's been forever since we've been to Grillby's. I have a right to be excited."
"YOU TWO HAVE FUN!" Papyrus called from inside. "we will bro." Sans replied before closing the door. "it feels weird, pap willingly letting me go to grillby's... heh, he usually hates the place." You quirked a brow. "Why? It's Grillby's." Sans laughed as you both started along. "exactly. a 'horrible greasetrap that would ruin my fine physique'. he used to hate when i went there."
"Maybe it's because I suggested it?" You shrugged as you offered out a possible reason for the change of heart. "probably."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

"Remember when we tried to prank Gaster with that bucket of snow but Grillby found out and dumped the melted snow on us?" Sans snorted and started chuckling, "oh the look on your face was priceless, you couldn't begin to comprehend why the water was warm rather than ice cold." You huffed indignantly, puffing your cheeks. "HoW wAs I sUpPoSeD tO kNoW tHaT hE hEaTeD tHe WaTeR wItH hIs BaRe HaNdS?!" That only caused Sans to laugh harder. "he's- he's a fire elemental [Y/N]- of course he can do that-" Sans wheezed as you crossed your arms. "I'll have the record show that I was five and didn't understand such concepts as I do now." Sans would've kept laughing, but all the racket you two have been making had attracted some unwanted attention in the form of the dog guard. Sans immediately pulled you beside him, growled, and took a shortcut the rest of the way. "filthy mutts aren't gonna touch you.." Sans was grumbling as he went to sit at the bar.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You sat next to Sans, enjoying the silence that came with it. Sans glanced at you and smiled, relaxing on the counter as he sighed contently. You joined him on the counter. "Whatcha doing bud?" You mumbled into your arms, looking him I his half lidded eye. "reveling in silence and enjoying your company." Sans replied bluntly. You smiled. "Me too." Silence fell over you again as you stared at each other. It wasn't as awkward as most would assume either. You actually liked it a lot. It was broken by a familiar loud creak though. Grillby shuffled in, looking a little more put together, but still in pain. "Sssssssaaaaaannnnsssss, [Yyyyyyyy/nnnnnnnnn]..?" You both lifted from the counter and you gave Sans a hopeful look. Sans sighed. "you've really gotta stop doing this.." Sans pulled out a bag of trailmix and slid it over to grillby. "here pal, hope that helps a bit, 'til we get the c.o.r.e done." You wiggled your brows. "You gotta stop giving into my cuteness." You replied, to which Sans coughed and quickly turned away. Grillby was happily munching away on the trail mix and enjoying the drama you and Sans supplied.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You and Sans spent the day with Grillby before going home and turning in for the next days work. Avoiding Undyne was easy due to the fact that Sans could shortcut to the C.O.R.E. "What happened to conserving our magic? Isn't that why we were going the lab route in the first place?" You asked as you looked around the dark space that had once been the C.O.R.E's core. "undyne makes it difficult, [Y/N]. i already lost you once when i got this hole in my skull, i'm not going to lose you permanently." Sans replied rather bluntly as he looked over the runes. "most of these are burnt out or cracked. we can't use them anymore without causing more damage." Sans worry was sweet, though you didn't know how long these shortcuts of his would last until he was out of magic again. What was worse was you had no idea how to fix the C.O.R.E without the runes. "Maybe we can get a clue from Gaster's research?" You offered. Sans grumbled a bit, thinking then nodded. "it's the only shot we got... i'll take you home and gather what i can."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

The next week became Sans reading Gaster's research out loud since you never got a handle on Wingdings. Neither did Paps apparently, who got lost in Gaster's musings almost immediately. You understood a lot more then you had back then, but you still had to have Sans explain a lot of it, which took even longer. "Ok. What does each individual symbol even mean? What if we could use less runes for it to work... or even modify one to power the whole C.O.R.E?" Sans gave you a skeptical look. "that doesn't sound very... likely." You crossed your arms, huffing. "Well something has got to work. I promised you all that I'd fix this." Sans put down the research. "i know.... but maybe... some things just can't be fixed." You stared at Sans. Stared hard at him. "So that's it? You're giving up?" He glanced at you, slightly annoyed. "i'm being realistic. this is our life now. we have to accept it." You stood up from the couch, fists clenched. "Well I don't. You won't let Undyne kill me, I won't let starvation kill you. I'm going to figure this out, Sans! That's my promise to you."