A Means to an End

When they jumped down, they felt both excited and disappointed. They'd hoped there would've been some monsters alive in the Ruins at least, but blood and dust was all they could see, the old puzzles had been reset though so something was down here at least. If not in the Ruins than in the other parts of the Underground. They just had to get through these old traps first. "Don't worry Sansy~" a ghostly voice whispered, an old friend that they'd dearly missed. "We're back~" Frisk finished for them.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Sans frowned, his head turning to Underground's Ruins. He wasn't sure why, but he couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was coming. He was having what remained of the Canine Guard handle it. "Come on Sans! I don't want Bree getting cold!" You huddled your baby close, letting fire magic dance around you for a heat source. You were still tired, but you at least had the energy to get home and show Papyrus. Sans huffed and trudged after you. "i'm coming, i'm coming.." Why no shortcuts? You didn't know how it would affect Bree. You didn't want to take any chances.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

There was no food in the Ruins. They should've figured with how they broke the monsters power source. When the C.O.R.E somehow restarted itself, they assumed the monsters outside didn't bother to tell these sad excuses of dust. Frisk went downstairs and shoved open the door to Snowdin. A cold wind blew passed, sensing a shiver up their spine. Was Sans already watching them? Waiting to scare them? Pull his his stupid pranks? They stepped over the branch, grabbing a pistol. Maybe if they were lucky they'd hit him and not have to go through the trouble later. The branch snapped and Frisk whipped around, firing the gun. Doggo yelped, jumping away. "A human my love..." Dogaressa growled, claws scratching her husband's axe. Greater Dog lifted his head, releasing a savage howl. Frisk was surrounded by skinny, raggedy, angry hounds. Not the dogs they once knew. "The C.O.R.E took its toll on them." Chara whispered. Frisk lifted their gun. "Then let's put them out of their misery." Frisk's smiled their chilling smile, eyes wide as they initiated battle with the Dogs.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

"Was that Greater Dog?" Papyrus was holding the baby with Aliza observing from afar. She was afraid to get to close to Bree in case Sans got... murdery. "... i'm gonna check it out. you should rest, sugar." You grabbed Sans hand. "What if you need backup?" Sans smiled and kissed you. "it's ok. the canine unit is there. plus i can always 'port back if it's to dangerous. you need to sleep some more though. for me and bree. paps has got her for now and grillbz is just a phone call away if paps needs help." You groaned as Sans started to push you up the stairs with the assistance of magic. "I'm going babe, I'm going.." You complained as Sans steered you to your shared room. "GOOD NIGHT SISTER!" You heard Papyrus call up as you were pushed in, door closing behind you. "Maybe one more check on Bree-"
"pap has bree, they are fine." Sans finally sat you down. Then pushed you down further before cocooning you in blankets. "good night sugar." He kissed your forehead. "i love you."
"I love you too, Sans. Be careful out there.." He nodded, grabbing the handle of his axe as he teleported out.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Sans stared at the piles of dust the dogs had become, weapon laying forgotten in the snow. He only knew one person who worked this fast... after all, they'd done it hundreds of times. Sans followed their path in silence, finding them staring down at the rotting conveniently hung corpse. Their disgusted expression was laughable, no doubt they figured it out... Sans narrowed his eye and thumped his axe to the ground, making them jump and spin. The gun clicked, out of ammunition. Sans expression darkened further as the brat, now turned adult, backed away from him, horrified. "S-Sans- w-what the hell..." He picked up the axe again, slinging it over his shoulder. "that ain't how you greet an old pal.." He rumbled ominously. "You've all resorted to... to this?!" They glanced at the corpse behind them. "well a monsters gotta eat." He shrugged. "that's not why you're here though, is it? you sensed it in tori's magic, right? the c.o.r.e powering on." Frisk's eyes widened further before darkening. "How do you know." They demanded, summoning a knife. "call it intuition." Sans eye flashed as he launched bones at the brat in a fight he knew he'd never win.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You jolted out of bed from a nightmare, gulping for air. You had to go check on Sans, something wasn't right. You rushed downstairs, noticing a note on the table. They probably took Bree out somewhere. As long as she was safe with them, you were fine with it. You grabbed a knife from the kitchen for just in case your magic wasn't at capacity then you slipped on boots and a coat before running out into the snow. Some monsters noticed you panicked rush and decided to follow, just to be sure you were ok. Your feet took you to the Ruins, near where Greater Dog had been howling. Fire burned at the magic knife before it could hit Sans, the Skeleton panting as he struggled to keep on his feet. He was exhausted, had been fighting for a few hours no doubt. He was at his limit. "[Y/N]..!" You and Frisk stared each other down.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

"You..." They growled. "Frisk. Never expected to see you here." You'd stayed at the same orphanage as them, when you were five, before you were adopted. They'd been three at the time, but there had always been something off about the kid. Go figure they were a fucking murderer. "So you fell down here? Did you fix the C.O.R.E?"
"And if I did?" Snowdin monsters started to make their presence known, eyes or lack of narrowed at Frisk with aggression. "You have a bunch of cannibals on your side? How disgusting." Shock replaced disgust as you summoned a trident and launched it at them. "They were that way because of you! You guys get Sans out of here and keep Papyrus and Aliza far away!" You ordered, launching at Frisk. There was three humans down here now, two determined souls. That should surely cancel any sort load ability, right? Your trident met with a giant (Cross sized) knife. "Let's play, brat." You growled. You forced the attacks to the side, trying to shoot fire at them, but they canceled with fire of their own. "You absorbed a monster's soul, I see." They summoned smaller knives, launching them at you and forcing you to distance yourself from them. You got cut quite a bit. "A-Asgore's.." Their eyes widened, then darkened. You were down here before me.."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You threw up a wave of fire to blind them, Sans made an appearance behind you. "you're so in trouble when we get home." He growled. "Fight now, punishment later." You replied as you and him both launched attacks at Frisk. A bone stabbed into their leg and a trident punctured their arm, sinking deep within a tree. They screamed in pain, struggling to get free so they weren't a sitting duck for you or Sans to pick off. It's not like either of you had much magic left. You were both still recovering. Sans grabbed his axe once more as you pulled out the knife. "here bud let me help you with that." Sans threw his axe with precision, the blade hacking easily through their arm. You swallowed, running at them and jamming the knife into their chest where their soul should be. They choked, gurgling as blood pooled from their mouth and onto the ground. You backed away, into Sans as he wrapped an arm around you, poking his head out to watch. Frisk fell back, eyes glazing over as they did so. "if we're lucky... they won't come back." Sans started to lead you away yet again, leaving them to rot as they should have done years ago.

Oof. Big oof. Very big oof. I wasn't really expecting the ending to end this dark. It's kinda open ended too. Up to you if Frisk comes back or stays dead. I'll give this shoutout to EmeraldShine2 who's been a loyal reader for quite a while. They have a book called The Icosphere if you wanna check it out! Have a great morning/afternoon/night!

-Kyran