Memories Lost

You were up on and off throughout what you assumed was the night. It was impossible to tell now that it was constantly dark. Mostly though, you were afraid that Toriel was going to come back in the night and tear into you like the Froggit had the Whimsum. You could only assume the River person was out of the question as well. So you were going to have to make it to the Castle on foot. Snowdin Forest would be the most dangerous area, having multiple hiding spots and you couldn't exactly teleport. All you had was what Asgore had for magic. Weapon summons, healing, and fire, in other words. If you could make it through the Forest, you could potentially use the tunnel you and Sans made to get through the town. There were plenty of places to hide in Waterfall, and Hotland... Hotland had no hiding places... that would also be a difficult area with how open it was. If you could make it into the lab.. there were tunnels leading from the lab to the C.O.R.E. that was your goal. So you now had a decent game plan.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You put on your coat and lugged your backpack onto your back. You ate half a granola bar to conserve your already low food reserves. It's not like you'd known the Underground was starving. You hadn't thought to keep all your granola bars, trail mix packs, and fruit snacks. So all in all you had two and a half granola bars, one pack of fruit snacks, and a pack of trail mix. Taking a deep breath you went down to the basement and to the giant door leading to Snowdin Forest. You wondered if the fort was still there. You quickly shook that thought out of your head. You had to focus on survival now, not the past, besides Sans was probably either different or dead. You pushed the door open, a farcry from the first time when you were little. The wind blasted you. Naturally you had to return in the middle of a Snowdin blizzard, of course. "Fuck!" You were already tempted to turn around, but you knew where your next shelter was already... if it wasn't destroyed. You trudged with difficulty through the dark and snow until you found what you were looking for.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

It was a tighter fit than before in the fort, but it sheltered you from the storm and your fire kept the place warm and lit. There were trace amounts of blood and dust inside. The fort wasn't a safe place to stay long. It would work for the time being though. You leaned back against you bag as you waited out the storm. Even taking the smallest nap while you could. Soon though you were wearily checking for monsters. A sad pang hit your soul for your old friends but you pushed it away. Things looked good so you were quick to carry on. The path you'd easily be spotted on so you took to the woods. Both an advantage and a disadvantage... until it became more of a disadvantage. If you hadn't stumbled when you did, your leg would have gotten caught in a bear trap. They fucking boobytrapped the forest. "Shit." You whispered quietly. Your stomach twisted. How many monsters had that alerted? The answer? Just. One. "well, weren't you just a sneaky little thing?" The shadow of the axe was visible to you and you lunged away to escape the fate of death.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You heard the weapon thud into the snow as you spun to face your attacker. Sans. Your soul cried at the sight of him. His favorite blue hoodie stained with blood and a glaring red eyelight. The worst thing though was the large gaping hole in his head. "keeping out of my sight by entering during the storm and keeping off the path. you clearly don't know how to greet a new pal." He chuckled darkly, lifting the axe up and onto his shoulder. "S-Sans... w-what happened to you.." You managed to whisper. He heard it though, regarding you with slight curiosity. And unconsealed distust and anger. " h o w d o y o u k n o w m e n a m e ? " Fear hit you full force and you scrambled back before running into a tree, classic horror movie style. "I-its your best friend, [Y/N]!" You stammered as he followed your retreat. "i don't know anybody by that name." He seethed. "and it won't matter, cause now you're dinner!" He rose the axe. "SANS, WHERE ARE YOU? WE NEED THE NEXT HUMAN THAT FALLS ALIVE. WE'VE STILL GOT A WEEK ON THE LAST ONE AND I DON'T WANT IT SPOILING."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Sans growled as he lowered the axe. "looks like it's your lucky day, human." Did he seriously just forget your name already? Or did he just not care? You really couldn't tell. "i'm comin pap, and i got a fresh supply." Sans grabbed your wrist and dragged you along. You stumbled along on shaky legs, trying to get past the fact that you almost died by Sans hand and he couldn't remember you. He pulled you onto the path and up to a really, really tall skeleton. "next week's dinner, bro." The skeleton examined you close, pointer and thumb phalanges on his mandible. "AND IT'S STILL PRETTY PLUMP. GREAT WORK, SANS!" You jumped at the volume of his voice. "heh, thanks pap." WHAT THE FUCK?! THIS WAS BABY PAPYRUS!? You couldn’t help but gawk at him. Papyrus took no notice, instead picking you up. "COME ALONG HUMAN, I HAVE A COZY LITTLE CAGE ALL SET UP FOR YOU." Sans stared dangerously at you as Papyrus walked away with you firmly in his grasp. It was almost as if Sans was daring you to try something. You just didn't know what.