Sickness and the Promise

You woke up feeling congested. Your cheeks were flushed with the beginnings of a fever and you felt very tired. Despite this, you still got ready to go do work with Sans and Gaster. You wouldn't miss it for the world! One look though and Gaster was shaking his head. He pressed his phalanges to your forehead- its not like he had palms- and tisked. "You are staying with Grillby, [Y/N]. It seems you've caught a cold." You returned with a quick shake of your head. "No! I'm ok! I wanna come-" You were cut off with a coughing fit. Gaster frowned and Sans put a hand on your shoulder to keep you stable. "i'm with dad on this one. your sick and need rest, [Y/N]." You whined, clearly in disagreement. Gaster picked you up and Sans got Papyrus. Then you were going through Snowdin and to Grillby's. "My friend, would you mind keeping an eye on the human as well? Call me if her condition gets worse." Grillby agreed immediately, fond of you. "Of course I will. [Y/N] is always a pleasure to have around." You were settled onto the couch and Sans grabbed your hand. He looked worried. "work on getting better for me, k?" You nodded. "Uh-huh."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You didn't get better though. You got worse. Your fever spiked despite the medication and healing magic that was applied. Gaster tried to figure out what you had so he could fix you, but he didn't know much about humans. His knowledge was limited. It didn't seem to have anything to do with your soul, the [S/C] heart was fine, in distress due to your sickness, but otherwise fine. Sans hated to see you like this. You were almost constantly in a sleep like state, mumbling incoherently and sweating. Coughs often wracked your body in what looked like a painful manner, yet when you were awake, you were surprisingly coherent, often carrying on long conversations about what you would do when you were better. Sans didn't dare tell you his worries about you not getting better. He was very scared that you were going to die. Him and Gaster both. Then one day, they found the Queen, who'd been searching in and out of the Ruins for [Y/N]. With her being the best healer in the Underground, they thought for sure, [Y/N] would get better!

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

"I... cannot help her.." Toriel murmured, placing a paw on [Y/N]'s head. "She seems to hold some sort of resistance to magic. Like some sort of block in her soul. I'm sure if someone with a strong enough soul were to offer it to her, we could remove it, but even then, I don't think we could heal her in time without someone who knows human anatomy." She explained. It was extremely saddening, for such a young child to lose her life. It was almost as bad as when she lost her children.. "So you're saying... that if we could get her across the barrier... she'll be saved." Gaster asked for confirmation. It really was Chara and Asriel all over again. Toriel was thinking along the same lines as she nodded. They looked to Sans and [Y/N], the older not leaving the younger's side. They didn't want a repeat of that incident. "Then I will get her across the barrier." All heads snapped to Gaster in shock. "I'm not losing my son the way we lost the Prince. I'd rather put my own life at risk."
"dad.."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

As Toriel, Gaster, Sans, and [Y/N] went to the castle, Sans felt torn. He wanted [Y/N] to stay with him, but he also knew that she had to leave or they'd never see each other again. Then there was also his dad, who he and Papyrus needed, who was offering to die to save [Y/N]'s life. It was a delema. He wanted both of them to live so badly. He couldn't even begin to choose. A small part of him hoped that someone else would offer their soul instead, as selfish as that thought was. Mostly, he was just scared. He was six. He'd been through hell, but this was just to much. Lose his dad or lose his only friend. How could a six year old, almost seven, chose? No, she was more than that. He didn't know what to call it but he and [Y/N] was so much closer than that. He looked at ghe girl in his dad's arms. "you're gonna be ok, [Y/N]... no matter what." Sans promised. Gaster and Toriel side glanced the boy. They certainly hoped so.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

They ran into Asgore as he watered his flowers. "What is going on here?" The king asked in slight worry. Toriel didn't give him time to be shocked at her sudden return. "This child is seriously ill, and must cross the barrier and if you DARE try and take her soul I will-"
"M'lady." Gaster interjected. "Not in front of the children." He turned to the king. "I will be giving my soul so she can cross. Perhaps in the future she will return, and save the Monster race once and for all." He looked down at the child with hope. This was only Asgore's second time meeting [Y/N]. He'd seen the affects she had on Snowdin. The happiness and hope they had in her. Asgore also knew that the Underground needed it's Royal Scientist and that Toriel was still the Queen, whether she'd left it because of him or not. He knew he made a lot of mistakes. "No. I cannot allow that."
"asgore-" Sans was about to interject. "She will be taking my soul instead. You are needed here, W.D., by the people and most importantly by your sons." The shock was evident. Asgore turned to the throne room.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Sans didn't want to say goodbye. So he made a promise instead. He wasn't sure if she was asleep or awake, it didn't matter. "i promise, [Y/N], when monsters make it to the surface, i will find you and we will play again, like old times. until then, i won't forget you and spread your memory, human of snowdin."