1

~ Poppy to the side ~

Beep! Beep! Beep! I roll over and slap my hand on top of my alarm and the persistent beeping stops. Flopping on to my back, I rub my hands over my face. 

A new day, A new school. My family and I recently moved to London from a place called Altrincham, so I have to start a new school again, but they have promised this is the last time we are moving. I have a chance to settle down.

After a quick stretch and an almighty yawn, I crawl out from under the covers and look at myself in the full length mirror that hangs on my wall.

Staring back at me is a short, slim and slender eighteen year old girl. She has wavy blonde hair that flows down to her waist and piercing blue eyes.

I walk to my en-suit, turn on the hot water and strip before stepping in to the steamy water and begin to wash my hair.

Something to know about my family. They're not poor. In fact, they're quite well off. But I do try and hide that because I know of people that have been treated differently or used because their parents are rich.

The Mendez family adopted me when I was eleven years old and I will be eternally grateful that I was taken in by such wonderful people. You would never know that I was adopted, they treat me just like their own child. The entire family treat me as though I have been here since I was born.

I was taken away from my birth family at nine years old when my school somehow found out that I was being beaten everyday by my mentally ill mother and alcoholic father. The school called the police and I was, more or less, taken away instantly.

For two years, I was passed between numerous children's homes and it was hell. Anyway, now I'm here with my family. Safe and protected. Okay, I admit that I am still a very nervous and shy girl and my abusive boyfriend didn't help that, but I'll be fine.

I turn off the water and step out the shower, wrapping a fluffy towel around my body and one around my hair. Then I get my toothbrush and begin to brush my teeth.

When I'm done with everything, including hair and make-up, I go to my wardrobe and retrieve some underwear then I take out my uniform. A navy blue blazer and tie. A white shirt and grey pleated skirt with black tights and black converse . My tie hangs a little loose on my neck and my top button is undone, but other than that, I look quite smart.

I left my hair wavy today, the way my mother likes it, and I applied some light make up.

Slipping my art pad in to my bag, I leave my room and head downstairs. Art is the one way I express how I feel. Talking to people about my emotions to people, is something I find very hard, so I do it through drawings. Although I mainly draw animals, the animals actions often represent how I am feeling. My art pad goes everywhere with me.

The staircase in my house is spiral and goes straight through the middle. The bottom leads out in to the large front entrance. I go through the large archway in to the light and airy kitchen. My mother, Christina Mendez, is sat in the kitchen at the island eating breakfast.

My mum has a rich brown, long bob hairstyle and blue eyes. Her skin is quite pale and she is quite tall but slim.

Although my family has Spanish blood in them, they were all born in England and all have fairly English names.

"Good morning, Mum." I greet her quickly as I grab an apple from the fruit bowl.

"Good morning, Poppy." She says happily. "Excited for your first day at Oak Park high?" Mum says before finishing the last spoonful of her cereal.