4

~Jason to the side~

~Poppy's Pov~

After my little break down in front of Mr Reynolds, I found Aria and Blake and got out of there pretty quick.

Jason walked home today with Corey and Dexter since I was staying behind today to watch Aria's band rehearsals, and they live around the corner from us which is a nice bonus. Aria and I don't really drive to and from school, we walk.

During the walk home, I barley spoke and Aria tried to ask what was wrong. She noticed that when it was just us, I was a lot more lively, so my near mute on the way home confused her slightly. I told her I just felt a little ill and she believed me. I think.

Now I'm sat in the garden under the large tree in the far left corner of the garden. The summer evenings are nice. I'm not cold, but I'm not too warm. I have many pieces of homework spread out in front of me, but I can't focus on them.

Each time I try and read a question, the image of Mr Reynolds' face appears in my head as he assures me that I can trust him. When he held me, I actually felt safe and I don't know why. Whenever a man comes near me, I flinch away. At first I was very unsure about Mr Reynolds, but when stared talking about the drawing thing and expressing emotions, it felt as if he truly understood me.

I've never felt that comfortable around a man that is not in my family, as I did around Mr Reynolds.

I lean against the tree behind me and bring my knees up to my chest. Glancing up to the decking behind the house, I see Kano who is playing with his bone.

"Kano, come here boy!" I shout to him and his large head turns and his ears are perked in my direction. Kano stands up and comes running over to me. My hand strokes behind his ear and then down his back. "Just wanted the company." I chuckle quietly and Kano drags his wet tongue from the bottom of my jaw to my forehead. "Eww, Kano." I laugh as he rests his head on my knee and looks at me with his deep soul searching eyes.

When I'm sad or frightened, Kano always picks up on it and he doesn't leave my side until I'm okay. Seriously, I can't pee without him following me. But, I love him so, so much.

"Poppy!" My mother appears at the back door and her eyes find me in the garden. "Dinner time!" She shouts to me before vanishing back in to the kitchen.

"Okay, come on, Kano." I sigh and stand up, then I gather all my homework and head back in to the house with Kano hot on my heels.

Throughout dinner, my thoughts keep wondering to Mr Reynolds. I hope it's not going to be insanely awkward between us now.

"Earth to Poppy?" My dad says as he waves a hand in front of my face.

"Uh, yeah?" I ask with a sheepish smile on my face.

"What's eating you up? You've been out of it all dinner." My dad asks with a slightly concerned look on his face.

"I'm just really tired. That's all." I confirm. I can't have them knowing that my real father had texted me. And I can't let them find out that it was my teacher that held me while I cried.

No one looks convinced, but they also don't press the subject.

That night when I finally finish my homework and get in to bed, I am genuinely exhausted and surprisingly, I fall asleep very quickly.

****
I trudge around the corner to Aria's house. Jason leaves to knock for her brothers a little later than us.

The moment I woke up this morning, the heavy feeling in my stomach set in. My father wants to find me and what if he does?