15

~Poppy's Mother, Christina to the side.~

~Poppy's POV~

"Are you ready?" Kieran asks as we pull up outside my home.

"No." I answer simply, pulling my sleeves of my hoodie over my hands.

It's the truth. I'm not ready to go in to that house and Jason not be there. I'm not ready to face my heartbroken parents. But I know that if I don't go now, I'll keep putting off coming to see them.

I open the car door and climb out, looking around. Kieran follows suit and comes round to me. He takes my tiny hand in his large one and I instantly feel comforted.

"Let's do this, Baby." Kieran kisses my forehead and we make our way to the front door.

I knock on the door and wait patiently for one of my parents to open it.

After about fifteen seconds, the door opens and my mother stands there. I watch as she visibly relaxes.

"Poppy." She sighs and wraps her arms around me.

"Hello, Kieran." My mum says over my shoulder.

"Hello, Mrs Mendez" Kieran replies politely.

"How are you mum?" I ask, not really wanting a truthful answer.

"We're not good. But everyone has been so supportive. Come in."

I step in and Kieran follows us into the main entrance.

I'm instantly hit with all the family photos. Jason is in most of them and he looks so happy. I turn away and Kieran places his arm around my waist supportivley.

The deep noise of someone clearing their throat fills the main entrance and we all look up.

"Daddy." I run up to him and wrap my arms.

"Hello darling." He returns the hug and I step back.

Kieran is stood there a little awkwardly under the intimidating glare of my dad and I return to his side.

"I wanted to talk to you Kieran and I and I want you to meet him properly." I explain.

"Let's go through to the living room." My father signals and we follow him.

My father and mother sit on the far sofa under the window and I sit down on the other sofa, Kieran next to me. I press myself in to his side and hold his hand.

"As you both know, this is Kieran." I glance up at him and he squeezes my hand. "And he is my art teacher." I finish and I watch my father tense up.

My mum places her hand on his knee. "Thomas. Lets listen to them."

My father relaxes under my mothers words, but continues to watch Kieran's every move.

"So you say you're twenty four?" Asks my mother with a smile.

"That's right." Answers Kieran.

"And where are you from?" She asks him. "Judging by your accent, not England."

"I'm from Georgia." Kieran answers and I swear that for one moment, I detect a break out of sadness in his voice.

"Let's cut the small talk. What are your intentions with my daughter?" My father jumps in.

"Dad!" I snap angrily.

"I don't have any intentions with Poppy, Mr Mendez, apart from to look after her and make her happy." I'm surprised at how well Kieran keeps his cool. Especially since my dad is being so rude.