27

~To the side, the cattle drive begins. ~

~Kieran's POV~

I look up from tightening Apollo's girth to see Poppy getting ready to mount Simba. "Let me give you a leg up, Baby." I come round to the other side of Apollo.

Poppy takes hold of her saddle horn and reins and waits for me to take hold of her leg. I wrap my hands securely around her left lower leg and she pushes off the ground with her right. I lift her up and she swings her leg over Simba's back.

I pat Simba's chestnut neck. "There you go." I say to Poppy and she smiles at me gratefully. I walk back around to the left side of Apollo and place my foot in the stirrup then hoist myself up and over his back.

Looking at everyone else who are mounting their horses, I turn Apollo around and away from the group to the edge. My Uncle walks over to me on his black stallion. "I'll lead the way. Miles is bringing up the rear. Just make sure Poppy is okay on Simba. He's generally well behaved, but he does test his new riders."

I nod and look back at Poppy who is talking to Alissa. Alissa is riding a dapple grey stallion called Jace.

"Have you sent any of the hands out already?" I look around, noticing that Tim and Ryan and their horses, Teddy and Theo are not around.

"Yes, Tim and Ryan are already on their way there. Ben and Max are coming now." My Uncle points to behind me. I turn around to see two men.

Ben is riding a young grey mare named Adagio. Max is riding a red roan mare, affectionately named strawberry.

I turn back round to my Uncle. "Okay. Are we ready to go?" I sit back in my saddle, ready for the ride.

"Yes. We are. Has Poppy got Kano with her?" Asks my Uncle and I look over to her to find Kano sat obediently at Simba's feet.

I nod and so does my Uncle. He turn Zeus around and takes him to the head of the gathered group. Poppy walks Simba over to me.

"Alright, guys!" Starts my Uncle and we all turn to him. "Miles at the back with Alissa, you're bringing up the rear. Everyone else, don't go right to the edge of the trail, stay in the middle. Keep an eye out for one another." He starts to turn Zeus around but Miles shouts to him.

"Dad! How long is the ride?" Asks Miles loudly.

My Uncle scowls at him. "You've done this ride for ten years. You should bloody well know by now that it's a five hour ride to the herd, three hours to move them to the new grazing land and then eight hours back tomorrow with breaks in between." Uncle Stefan kicks Zeus in to a walk and we all follow, laughing at Miles' telling off.

Kano and Jax run out in front, jumping and playing together. I can tell that they're enjoying the freedom of the ride already. We have their leads, but I doubt we'll be using them.

We walk along at a brisk pace. It's only half past six in the morning so it's not to warm yet. It's peaceful as we ride. We're all quiet and the only sounds are the nickers of the horses and the sounds of the singing birds.

After fifteen minutes of riding along the rocky path, Miles breaks out in to song, singing a song that I love, very badly.

"You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lipss." He starts. We always used to sing this song. You've lost that loving feeling by The Righteous Brothers.