30

~A month later ~

~Keiran's POV~

Poppy and I returned from America three days ago and are slowly coming round from serious jet lag. You can see the difference in her personality. She's now a lot more easy going, relaxed out confident, now that she knows her biological father is in prison.

I go through in to the kitchen to find Poppy on the phone. She's rummaging through the fridge. "Yes, Dad." She sighs slightly then shuts the fridge.

Waving to me, she then hoists herself up on to the counter and leans against the cupboard. "One second." She tells her dad. Poppy places the phone's speaker against her shoulder.

"Keiran, can we go over to my parent's house later? They want to see me." She asks.

"Yes, of course we can." I tell her as I grab an apple out of the bowl in the middle of the table.

Poppy brings the phone back to her mouth. "Okay, dad, we'll see you later." She tells him as she fiddles with her beautiful hair. "Yes, I'll bring him with us." I guess she means Kano.

"Love you too. Bye, Daddy." She hangs up then places her phone down on the counter.

"Have you told them about what happened in America?" I ask her then take a bite out of the red apple.

"Briefly." Sighs Poppy. "I told them I don't want to talk about it. They know he's in prison and that I'm safe, so they probably won't press about it." She looks around the kitchen.

I place mg apple on the counter carefully and move to stand between her legs, I place my hands on her tiny waist. "How about we talk about something a little less... unpleasant." I suggest as I nip at her ear.

"What would that be?" She laughs slights as she wraps her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck.

"What do you think?" I whisper huskily in her ear and I crouch down so that I can throw her over my shoulder. Poppy squeals and laughs at me. I hold her carefully and she slaps my bum.

"Put me down, Keiran!" She laughs, a sound I love more than anything.

"Not a chance." I smirk and carry her across the apartment as pretends to try and escape from me. I go in to the bedroom and place her on the bed gently, crawling on top of her.

****
"Are you ready to go?" I ask as I tie my shoe lace. Poppy is clipping Kano's lead on to his collar. He's well behaved, so we don't really need it at all, but there is a lady that lives across the hall who is frightened of him

"Yes, Keiran, I am." Poppy holds Kano's lead loosely and I grab my keys, unlocking the door. We exit on to the hall and I lock the door behind us.

After exiting the building, Poppy releases Kano from his lead and gathers it up in her hand. She grabs hold of my hand and I lace our fingers together.

"I bet your parents have missed you." I chuckle as I rub her hand with my thumb.

"Every time I've spoken to them since we left for America, they've told me. My mum will smother me completely." Poppy laughs, but I know she doesn't mind. Her parents mean the world to her.

I wrap my hand around her waist and kiss her forehead. I'm pushed to the side abruptly when Kano pushes in between us.

"Kano!" Poppy orders and he moves back around to her right side. "I don't know what his problem is." Poppy smiles and stands close to me again.

I know what it is. Kano has been Poppy's protector for seven years and she means everything to him. While he may like me, I don't think he trusts me with her completely.