CHAPTER #3

For the rest of the week, Qihe learned her routine and even battled her in DOTA. The more he found out, the more questions he had. No one, not even his twin brother, knew who she was fighting outside of school bullies. She repaid his assistance with doing his homework. He accepted it, but told her that he wanted answers sooner than later. By mid-week, with no results, Qihe followed her after school. He stuck to the shadows, but she encountered no one on her way home. Once she was inside her house, he snuck up near an open window and listened to the conversations inside.

"Zan is he home?"

"Not yet."

"Need help with your homework?"

"No I've got it. Want me to do the dishes?"

"I'll do it."

"Your hands will hurt. I'll wash, you dry."

"Okay."

Qihe smiled, he liked their dynamic.  A phone rang, it sounded like a cell ring tone.

"Yes?.... I'll come get him, thanks." Jiayi ended the call. "Keep the door locked until we get back."

"I can help."

"You shouldn't have to. It's my duty.  And once he's home, I want you to stay in your room. No matter what happens to me, don't interfere. Promise me!"

"I promise... We should tell someone." Zan crossed his fingers behind his back.

"It'll make things worse. Don't worry I'll be careful."

Qihe retreated away from the house and waited. Wherever she was going it was dangerous and he didn't like it. He saw her confirm the front door was locked and then followed. When Jiayi got on a bus, so did he, pulling his hoodie over his hair so she wouldn't recognize him. They stopped just outside of the bar district. One of the places that sold cheap booze. He waited in the alley as Jiayi disappeared inside. He heard a commotion and peaked around the corner. A man was lying on the ground and Jiayi was fighting off other men, who tried to feel her up. When one of the three broke a bottle on the wall, Qihe came out of hiding.

"Use that and you die," he threatened.

"Who are you?"

"He's Mafia Boy, my boyfriend." Jiayi lied.

The men laughed. "My wife would eat him up. Your boyfriend can watch me have a go with you," the man said in a sing-song voice.

Qihe flinched when she kicked the man in the balls, because it was so hard his feet left the ground. The man fell and didn't get up. The broken bottle was thrust at her, but she couldn't avoid it, due to trading shots with his friend. Qihe kicked the bottle out of the guy's hand and delivered a one-two punch. The man's nose suddenly gushed blood and as he bent over, Qihe kneed him in the temple. The guy dropped, out cold. Turning he saw Jiayi get loose of her attacker, with a backward head-butt. She spun, then gave the man a throat punch using her elbow. It didn't crush his windpipe, but he bent over coughing. Qihe kicked him in the head.

Scanning for attackers, Jiayi saw no more coming and turned to ask, "were you following me?"

"I told you I wanted answers."

"Help me get my dad upright." She was pulling on the man who had remained down the whole time. "Damn it, we'll have to take a cab, he's too drunk." Using her cell phone, she ordered a taxi.

When it arrived, the driver, Jiayi and Qihe had to work together to get the drunk man in the car. Jiayi sat on one side and Qihe on the other side of her dad.

"Does this happen every night?"

"The fighting, usually, but mostly just one guy. A regular harasses me. The guy who I kicked in the balls starts it.  As for dad... he drinks to let off steam after work." She made eye contact with Qihe. "Don't tell anyone. They'll split up my brother and I."