A Just Punishment

Chen Yu has made it to a small fruit stand halfway around the block. He pauses looking at the offerings and catching his breath. He thinks maybe a jog in his current stay was overly optimistic. He's felt like he's been watched nearly since he left the gates of the manor. His eyes land on fresh mangoes and he thinks of his husband. As he glances up to inquire about the price, he sees the stall owner's eyes widen as they hurriedly back away.

Chen Yu narrowly dodges the blade aimed at his heart. He grabs the attackers wrist in one hand and the handle of the blade in the other. He raises the man's arm and violently brings it down onto his own shoulder. The attackers grip loosens and Chen Yu gains control of the knife. He stabs it into the man's thigh and elbows him in the face. The man cries out and stumbles off, the blade still in his thigh. Chen Yu turns back to the stall owner as if nothing happened, a serene smile on his face.

"Excuse me, I'd like four of your mangoes please." Chen Yu says, wiping blood from his hand. It's only now he notices a gash across his palm. He must have gotten it in the struggle for the knife. He sighs, paying a shaking owner for the fruits and imaging how pissed off Gu Wei will be.

* * *

It's been over twenty minutes since Chen Yu left and Uncle Feng is growing worried. He receives a call from the guard at the gate. The man lets him know that Chen Yu has returned, but there's blood on his clothes. Uncle Feng rushes to the door and sees Chen Yu enter, blood smeared across his chest and dripping from his hand.

"It's only been twenty five minutes, I'm back early." Chen Yu says with a grin seeing the concern on Uncle Feng's face. "Would you mind putting these in the kitchen, there Wei's favorite." He holds out the bag of mangoes and watches Uncle Feng heave a sigh.

"You know you have tell him about this. The sooner the better. You should let him look at your hand too." Uncle Feng says, grinning as Chen Yu flinches. He chuckles softly at the fact this unshakable cop is afraid of his own gentle, softhearted husband.

"I know. Please ask Zimo to stay close to him, just in case." Chen Yu grits his teeth and heads for the stairs. "I'll change my clothes and give him a call."

In their bedroom, he strips out of his bloody clothes, tossing them on the floor, and heads to the bathroom to cleanup. He sees a new bruise on his shoulder and rolls his eyes. After washing off the blood, he stands bent over the sink. He's not sure what to tell Gu Wei, he'll worry no matter what. He rubs the back of his neck and decides he can't really avoid it. He heads back into the bedroom and slides on his favorite jeans. Just as he sits down on the bed, his cell rings. He swallows hard, recognizing Gu Wei's ringtone.

"Hello handsome." Chen Yu says, trying to sound completely calm.

"Yu'er, what happened? Are you alright?" Gu Wei asks sounding panicked. "Don't you dare try lying, I know something is going on. Zimo just tried following me into the bathroom for goodness sake!"

"I went out for a jog." Chen Yu begins, but he's interrupted by Gu Wei's fiery indignation.

"A jog? Yu'er, you have three broken ribs! Not one or two, but three! And one has multiple breaks, a jog... aiyaa what were you thinking?" Gu Wei sighs into the phone, then gasps. "You knew he was watching the manor. You're provoking that lunatic? Are you okay? Be honest with me Yu'er." There's a warning edge in his voice.

"I knew. I won't lie to you lao gong. Someone pulled a knife on me, but I managed to put it in his thigh." He sighs looking at his palm. "I do have a little cut on my hand from the struggle, but I'm okay. By the way, it's my right hand. Should I ask Nanny to help me dress it?"

"No. You get your ass in a cab and get to the hospital. I'm the only one allowed to take care of you, remember?" Gu Wei sighs. "Lao gong, I'm only four hours into a twelve hour shift. Do you really want me worried and unable to focus for the next eight hours of my day?"