Dark Moon - 4

“Okay, I'll ask…” Malia said as she pokes her head from the backseat between Scott and me. “Who's Kate Argent?” 

God. There goes the beautiful silence we just had. We were following after Braeden on her motorcycle. All of us cramped inside the jeep. The windows were down so at least we had some air in the hot Mexican sun. 

“Uh, I'd like to know, too…” Kira said softly, like if she didn't know whether it was okay or not to ask. 

“Well, we were at her funeral,” Stiles tells them as he drives. “So I'd like to know how she got out of a casket that was buried six feet underground.” 

“It was a closed casket.” I reminded Stiles. No one actually got to see her face during the funeral. Not that I wanted to. God Peter will have a fit even he finds out what he accidentally did. 

“And as it turns out the bitch was never in it.” 

Malia looked surprised at me that I called the woman a bitch. But what other words could I use to describe Kate Argent? Actually there were a few. Homicidal Hunter. Psychotic family killer. Crazy woman that burned my family alive just because she didn't like werewolves. 

Lydia sighs. “She was Allison's aunt... and a total sociopath.” 

“You don't have to talk about it now if you don't want to.” Kira told Scott since we were talking about someone who was related to Allison. She clearly isn't giving me the same sentiment because she doesn't know the whole story.

Malia interrupted. “Uh yes he does!” 

Stiles takes my hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "You know you don't have to." 

I take a deep breath and shake my head. “No, they have a right to know." Malia piqued up in interest. 

"It was about 7 years ago. I was 10, Derek was 16. It was the night after a full moon, we were at school while the rest of our family was sleeping off the effects of the full moon." I told Kira and Malia.

"Kate, she hated us. Her family of hunters had a code she didn’t follow. She was the one who set the fire that killed about half of my family.” 

Malia sits back, patting my shoulder sympathetically since she knows what it's like to lose family at a young age. I smiled lightly in appreciation. “The only ones who survived the fire were my uncle Peter and cousin Cora.” 

“A very angry Peter.” Lydia notes. Scott nodded and added to the story. “Yeah, he's the one who bit and turned me–“ 

Lydia interjects. “And the one who finally caught up to Kate and killed her.” Was I upset he killed her? Maybe. But only because death seemed like mercy for her rather than life in prison. 

“And we saw her buried.” 

“No.” I interrupted again. “We saw a casket, remember? She wasn't in it." 

Sorry nods. "The Calaveras heard that Kate had been killed by an Alpha's claws. They wanted to make sure she was really dead. Her body was healing, more and more, as she got closer to the full moon.

She was coming back. So, they switched the bodies." Sons of bitches. Who knows how many people she's killed since then? How many more families she decided to burn alive. 

"If a Hunter is bit, they have to take their own life before they change." I found that to be stupid. That's how Allison's mother died. Victoria Argent, may she rest in peace-ish, (sorry Allison but you know what she did) creeped me out.

She could have easily lived as a werewolf, but she just had to kill herself. Clearly she was more of a hunter then Kate is. 

"The Calaveras... they treat the Code like law. They make it their responsibility to enforce it.”