Perishable - 3

“Try "Maddy." It's got to be Maddy.” Stiles said, convinced as we tried to help Lydia solve the cipher. We had nothing better to do.

Well, actually we did have homework. And school. But we skipped it all to go chipper solving. Because that just spells fun. 

“Doesn't "Maddy" feel a little obvious as a cipher key?” I questioned but Stiles shook his head determinedly. “I guarantee it's "Maddy." 

Lydia tried that but it didn’t work. Again. 

“Okay, your name. She left the code for you, right? So, it's got to be your name?” Lydia tried that to but it failed. “Your mom's name?” 

Lydia proceeded to again, type in Natalie Martin's name in but again it didn't work. 

“Do you have any beloved family pets?” 

Lydia shakes her head annoyed. I sighed and tried to think. “The ashes were left for you. The code was left for you. You're supposed to be able to figure this out.” I don't mean to make it sound like she has the weight of the world on her shoulders with this, but she does right now. 

And I wish I could help her but this Banshee stuff, not exactly good at it are we. 

“But no one else is... which is why she made it hard.” Lydia points out, Stiles' printer beeped and he irritatedly shoved paper inside of it before it seemed like a light bulb went over his head. 

“You... "No one else." No one else but you.” Stiles realized. 

Lydia and I frowned at the way he said it. “What?” 

“Our guesses-- they're all about Lorraine, right?" Stiles said. "We keep trying to guess a word that has something to do with her. So, maybe we should be trying to guess one that's about you.” 

Lydia frowned, “Me? What about me?” 

“What do you remember doing with your grandmother? You know, what was you guys', like, special thing?” 

I finished for Stiles. “Did you go to the beach? You know, did you like ice cream, or...?” 

“We read…” Lydia said. Stiles nods. “Okay. What did you read?” 

“The Little Mermaid.” 

“You read that movie?” 

“It was a book first!” Lydia and I exclaimed simultaneously. “Hans Christian Andersen.” Of course I know this, my dads a freakin author and my moms an English teacher. To be honest, I read all of the fairytales first before watching the movies.

I kind of liked it better that way. 

“Type it in. "Little Mermaid." I instructed Lydia, and she did so but it didn’t work. 

Lydia shook her head confused. “We read it every night. I got so obsessed with it, for three months I wouldn't respond to anything but "Ariel." It drove my parents crazy, but…" she paused with the realization. "Grandma thought it was adorable.” 

Lydia typed in Ariel and it actually worked, and a new list appeared. Just under 10 names. But none of them had numbers on the side. “Do you recognize any of these?” 

Lydia shakes her head. “Just my grandmother.” 

My phone beeps with a message from Scott. 

SCOTT: Are you coming?

Dammit. I completely forgot I promised him that I would help him manage the bonfire party at the school. It's kind of a tradition here at Beacon Hills.