Time Of Death - 1

“Is three enough?” Kira questioned as we placed two Apple laptops on the kitchen island of Scotts kitchen. I bought two of them this morning at the mall, the one in my hands was my own. We all had a plan, one that didn't involve Malia. She didn't know because she's been avoiding us.

I've tried to call her already about a hundred times to apologize but she doesn't answer. Can't say I blame her, I deliberately lied to her about who her real father was. Who her real family was. She has every right to hate me.

Knowing now she truly was without a doubt a Hale was kind of startling. Now it's kind of sinking in that it's all real. Cora was incredibly shocked at the news. And she actually can't wait to meet her, I'm sure they'd like each other. They're actually pretty similar.

“Depends on how many cameras they have." Stiles said. "But I think so.”

“Are we really doing this?” Liam said unsure as he looked at all of us. Scott nods. “We're doing it-- tonight.”

“But isn't it kind of dangerous?”

“It's incredibly dangerous and borderline idiotic.” Stiles agreed.

“Have you guys done something like this before?” Liam questioned us.

“Something dangerous? Or something idiotic?” I asked for clarification.

“Because it's a "yes" to both.”

A definite yes. This isn’t probably not even the stupidest thing we've done. But right now it definitely could be. Well, the most not thought out plan.

“You don't have to be part of it if you don't want to.” Scott told Liam. “I'm not scared!” Liam defends himself. Stiles clapped him on the shoulder and spoke sarcastically. “Then you're borderline idiotic.” I nodded in agreement. Definitely.

“If we do this, we don't know what's coming for us. You know that, right?” I reminded Scott. This was the stupid part of this plan. We had no idea if it would even really work or what would happen. “How do we know something's definitely coming?” Kira asked.

“Because the tape from Garrett's bag said "visual confirmation required." Stiles told her. “Simon said the same thing-- he couldn't get paid by the Benefactor until he had proof that you guys were dead.”

By Simon he means the proctor from the PSATs that was actually a professional who developed a strain of this disease that affected us differently. And he was killed by Rafeal, right before he was this close to killing Stiles. I have never said this before but thank you Rafeal.

“So, the idea is what if you kill someone on the Deadpool, but you can't send the proof?” I said and Kira realized. “You don't get paid.”

“But how does that get us any closer to the Benefactor?” Liam wondered.

“He still needs to know if the target is really dead.” Scott told him. “Especially if it's someone high on the list.”

“So, if he wants visual confirmation…” Liam began and I finished. “He’s going to have to come get it himself.”

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

I have to cover my eyes as I hear Melissa's wail pierce through the hospital. I knew it was fake, but still. Stiles rubbed my arm, and we all looked at the door when we saw Melissa come inside the morgue to join us.

Wiping her tears away as she approached us and Scott's body. His dead body, he wasn’t really dead. I know that but it looked so real. Kira had stopped his heart, I still didn't fully trust this plan. Partly because it was stupid, and partly because Kira was still learning her kitsune crap.

“I still hate this plan.” Melissa expressed my sentiment as she got herself together and looked at her son. “I mean, this is pretty significantly terrifying-- he looks dead.”

Mrs. Yukimura and Athena exchanged glances. Athena came to help us, just in case Kira couldn't bring Scott back and ran into any trouble. Dad was also here, this is probably the first time they've been together under the same roof. Trying to get Dad under the same roof with her is ridiculous though. Trust me I’ve tried.

“Give me your hand.” Melissa lets Mrs. Yukimura take her hand and put it over Scotts heart, and she gasps. “Wait for it…” Athena said and Melissa breathed in relief when she felt the slow heartbeat. I can hear it as well, it's super slow. I can’t actually believe this was working. It’s a good thing he’s not human.

“Is that enough to keep a werewolf alive?” Melissa asked. Dad nodded. “Enough for an alpha.”

“How much time do we have?”

“Forty-five minutes.” Mrs. Yukimura answered. “What happens after that?”

“I bring him back the same way.” Kira tells her.

“No, I mean, what happens if he stays like this longer than forty-five minutes?” Melissa clarified and waited for an answer. Liam, Kira, Stiles and I stayed silent. Avoiding Melissa's stare. Did we tell her? No.

Scott kind of made us promise not to tell Melissa till after Kira had worked her kitsune stuff. He didn’t want to worry her and well. All of the adults in the room looked at us exasperated. “No one's told her?” Dad shot me an accusing look.

“What?” Melissa asked upon seeing our faces. “What happens after forty-five minutes?”

Athena and Mrs. Yukimura sighed. “He dies.” I looked up at Melissa, “We’re not letting him die.” That’s for sure. Melissa nods and exhales. “Let’s not let that happen then.” The others all nodded in agreement. Kira and Liam take the bag of laptops and head upstairs. And Dad and Stiles did the same while I stayed here with Athena.

“So how does this work?” I asked Athena, nervously rubbing my hands. We were going to do a protection spell, in case things went awry and the Benefactor did come for Scotts body.

It would apparently prevent anyone from taking his body. “It’s simple.” Athena said as she pulled out a small green plant from her purse. “This is horehound.” I almost snort at the name. I do. Athena shot me a glare and I quickly straightened up. “Sorry.”

Athena shakes her head and continues. “This is a basic protection herb space. I’ve already put some on the insides of the space, but we need a spell.” I nodded, taking the herb from her.

Didn’t look like it could hurt me, considering my werewolf side. I crumbled it up and sprinkled the leaves on the last two edges of the morges safe. Athena extends her hands over Scotts body to me, and I wearily take them.

Zaštitite prostor.” She said, and motioned for me to repeat the same thing. I had no idea what the hell it actually meant but I’m assuming that it activated these herbs or some shit.

“So what happens now?” I asked as I pulled my hands back. Athena smiled and motioned for me to try it. I shrugged and tried to put my hands through the safe to grab Scott but was immediately burned.

“Ow!”

I pulled back, rubbing my hands from the sparking sensation. “What the hell was that?”

Athena chuckled lightly. “No supernatural or human can try and take him. Only until the spell is brought down.” Oh. That’s actually very helpful.