chapter 3: weisz is apologetic

~weisz~

       I don't know how long I've just been staring at my lunch for instead of eating it. It's not until Jessica waves her hand in front of my face, snapping me out of my trance. I look at her, seeing the concerned expression on her face. "Are you okay?" she asks. "You've been poking at your lunch instead of just eating it."

       "I'm fine," I say before I finally take a bite out of my lunch. It's not that I'm not hungry; I am. I just feel horrible about the accusation I made towards Reno yesterday. It clearly affected him. He wanted to get the work done as fast as we could and refused to talk to me about anything else.

       If it wasn't about the project, he would just shut down the conversation. Why did I let all the rumours about him get to my head?

       "I bet Reno did something," Neil says.

       I furrow my eyebrows. "Why would you think that?"

       "Because Mr. Basu forced you to pair up with him in psych," Neil says. "I feel for you. I gladly would have let you join me and Padma if Mr. Basu allowed groups of three but unfortunately, he's very strict when it comes to group projects." He pats my shoulder. "If you need me to threaten him, I'll... I probably won't do it because he scares me."

       I gently take his hand off of my shoulder. "Reno didn't do anything. He's fine."

       Neil snorts. "Okay."

       I don't want to tell them exactly why I've been distracted during lunch. I bet anything that they'll just convince me that I'm in the right and didn't do anything wrong. Besides, if I tell them that I saw Reno give a package to some biker dude, it will only confirm the rumours they believed.

       Padma realizes I don't want to talk about why I'm distracted, so she changes the subject. "We've been trying to ask you what you think is the better theme for a dance we're planning," she says. "We're all on the dance committee and we're currently in a stalemate."

       "What are the themes you're deciding on?" I ask.

       "The first one is 50's themed," Padma says. "And the second is a blacklight theme."

       I take another bite out of my lunch, trying to decide on what theme I would choose. After swallowing the food, I say, "To be honest, I do like both of the themes."

       Padma sighs. "We're still in a stalemate, then."

       "Why don't you let all the other students vote?" I ask. "Make some ballots and let them vote throughout a lunch period?"

       "Huh," Padma says. "That..." She looks around the table, seeing that everyone else seems to agree. "That's actually a really good idea. Thanks, Weisz."

       "I agree that it's a good idea," Neil says, "but I think you should vote for my idea."

       "Or," Jessica says, "we shouldn't force him to choose your idea and just go with the students voting. We seriously couldn't agree on one theme. This is the best way to get our theme decided so we can actually plan the dance."

       Padma nods. "And as the dance committee president, we will be going with the vote."

       Neil scowls. "So you can say we're going with the vote but not choose the theme? Some president you are."

       "Why would you want her to choose the theme as the president?" Rodolfo asks. "She doesn't want the same theme as you."

       "Oh, right," Neil asks. "Never mind, I agree with the school vote. I'll just throw a massive campaign so they vote for my theme."