chapter 50: reno thinks weisz is hot

~reno~

       "Alright, Weisz is talking to one of his teachers for a few minutes, so we have a bit of time," Jane says during lunch. "Any ideas?"

       I furrow my eyebrows. "Ideas? For what?"

       "For Weisz's surprise birthday party," Jane says. "We're determined to give him one this year since we couldn't give him one last year. He ended up running a fever around his birthday and when he has a fever, it's best for the hospital to monitor him. He was there for a while, on his birthday."

       "Oh," I say. "Oh, wow. That must have been hard on him."

       Jane sighs. "Yeah, it was. I mean, we all still visited him and he still opened presents and had cake, but it's not the same of having a party. So we are determined the throw him the best surprise party ever."

       "Especially when he thought he wouldn't make it to his seventeenth birthday," Adam says.

       "Adam," Jane says in a warning tone. "You know Weisz doesn't like to think like that anymore."

       "But Weisz isn't here to hear it. It's a fact, anyway. Seventeen may not seem like a big deal to everyone else, but it's a big deal to him. So we have to make sure it's the best birthday. Wanna know my idea?"

       "Not really," Jane says. "Your ideas always involve something stupid or dangerous. Or stupid and dangerous."

       Adam shakes his head. "I know, but I promise this is a good idea. It's a theme of, wait for it... Surfing."

       Jane, Amelia, and Marcel look at each other with contemplative looks. Eventually, Amelia shakes her head before she looks at Adam. "I get the sentiment, but I don't think it's a good idea for him to have a constant reminder of what he had to give up when he was sick."

       "Wait," I say. "Weisz used to surf?" If he did, that would make him even hotter. I mean, he's already hot, but the idea of him surfing? Hot.

       It's probably just like how Weisz thought I was hotter when he found out I know ballet. 

       "Oh, yeah," Marcel says. "All the time. He was great at it. But, you know, he has to avoid physical activities that make him exhausted, so he had to give it up. I don't know why he didn't get back into it when he beat cancer the first time..."

       "Honestly, it's a good thing he didn't," Jane says. "He would have had to give it up again, and that might have made him think he would never be able to get back into it." She looks at Adam. "I agree with Amelia. The sentiment is there, but he probably doesn't want the reminder."

       Adam sighs. "Yeah, that makes sense. Maybe we can... How about we... Oh, maybe... Yeah, I got nothing."

       "Nothing for what?" Weisz suddenly asks as he sits down beside me. I don't think any of us heard him walking up to us, so it did come as a bit of a surprise. Hopefully, he didn't overhear any of the conversation.

       Though if he did, he probably wouldn't have asked the question.

       "Uh..." Adam says, trying to think of an excuse. "Hold on, let me think of something."

       "Wow, that's not suspicious at all," Weisz says. "You know, the best way to avoid answering a question I have is to just change the subject. My short attention span wouldn't have been able to realize it. So what exactly where you talking about?"

       "We can't tell you," Amelia says. "It's already embarrassing Adam enough as it is to have us know about it. But I also don't want you to feel left out so I'll tell you. Adam passed fell asleep in class today. But not like just resting your head on the desk to fall asleep. He literally fell onto the floor."

       Adam sighs. "I was tired from playing a video game all night."

       Despite Amelia being quick to think of a lie, I don't think Weisz believed it. "Okay..." he says slowly. "But then why did you say you got nothing?"

       Amelia looks at me as if she wants me to think of something to say. Either something to do with the lie or to change the subject so Weisz gets distracted enough. 

       I don't know if I would be able to join in on the lie, so I decide changing the subject is good enough. At first, I want to ask him about his surfing, but then I decide against it. After all, he had to give it up, so I don't know if he would want to talk about it unless he brings it up.

       So I decide on the next best thing. I tap Weisz's shoulder before leaning closer to him to whisper something only he hears. "My dad has to go out of town again, this time for a job. Want to test that leather jacket fantasy of yours?"

       Weisz's face immediately turns red as he looks at me. "Seriously? You're not just saying that to tease me?"

       "I'm serious," I say. "So...?"

       "I'd have to ask my parents, but I'm pretty sure they would say yes since they did last time," Weisz says.

       "Oh, speaking of asking your parents," Jane says. "Did you talk to your oncologist or your parents yet about the school trip?"

       Weisz shakes his head. "I'm going to wait until we know exactly where we're going. I'm probably going to ask my oncologist first because if it's a yes, I can tell them that and say that he wouldn't have said yes if it wasn't safe for me."

       "I really hope you can go," Jane says.

       "Yeah, if you can't go, we're all not going to go as a protest," Marcel says.

       "Please don't," Weisz says. "I don't want you to miss out on the trip just because I can't go."

       "Yeah, and if you guys stay, you'll interrupt my and Weisz's alone time," I say. "If you catch my drift."

       "You are so embarrassing," Weisz says. "Please stop."

       Weisz seems to have forgotten about what we were talking about beforehand, so I guess changing the subject really does work. But from now on, it would be best for us to just text each other about the plans for Weisz's birthday. We couldn't risk Weisz spoiling it for himself.

__________________

honestly, weisz and reno could probably do something as simple as stretching and the other will be like "omg he's so hot"

me @ characters in genshin impact lol.