chapter 26: reno is fed up

~reno~

       I can feel people stare at me when I go back to school after my three-day suspension, which my dad didn't succeed in getting it overturn. He did tell the principal how unfair it is to suspend me for skipping school, but she didn't budge. Her reasons? Rules are rules?

       I've seen people break more rules than me and they haven't been suspended yet. Some of them haven't even gotten a simple detention before. I'm certain the person who actually spiked the punch at the school dance didn't even get in trouble.

       In short, I'm sick of going to school. Part of me, a huge part of me, wants to skip even more, but I'd probably just get suspended again. Or expelled. Would that even be a bad thing, though? I can find a better school to go to.

       The only reason why I wouldn't want to get expelled is when Weisz gets the all clear to go back to school, he would be here alone.

       On the bright side, Weisz is out of the hospital now. He still can't go out in public, so he's stuck at home, but that gives me enough time to visit him during lunch. And possibly skip the rest of the day if he lets me. Maybe I can get my dad to call in sick for me. That's not technically skipping if I have my dad's permission, right?

       Lunch finally rolls around, so I head to my locker to put my stuff away. As I'm doing so, the most annoying person on the planet decides to walk up to me. "So, I heard you were suspended," Neil says. "Honestly, you should have been expelled instead. I'm surprised they're still letting a murderer be at this school."

       I shouldn't let Neil get to me when I know he's just trying to get a reaction out of me, but I can't help it. It's different this time. Maybe it's the fact that Neil is assuming I would hurt Weisz. I would never hurt Weisz. Or anyone for that matter. But with Weisz, I love him so much that I can't even imagine hurting him.

       So when someone starts a baseless and ridiculous rumour that I murdered Weisz just because he hasn't been at school for a while, it hurts.

       "Can you just fuck off?" I snap.

       "Wow, that was a bit rude," Neil says. "You wouldn't want me telling a teacher that you said that, would you?"

       I slam my locker shut. "Teenagers curse. It's normal. Go ahead and be a fucking snitch if it makes you feel better about yourself because clearly, something is wrong if spreading lies about me is something you enjoy."

       "Well, I don't see why else Weisz would just stop showing up to school," Neil says.

       "There a bunch of other reasons I can think of. You're just lacking enough brain cells to think properly."

       I don't want to talk to Neil any longer, or be anywhere near him, so I walk off before he can say something even more idiotic. I just can't wait until I graduate now, but I still have another year left once I finish this school year. At least I'll have two and a half months off for the summer, so I won't have to be anywhere near these idiots.

       I leave the school and get into my car, sending Weisz a quick text to tell him I'm going to visit him during lunch. At first, I thought he was going to tell me that I don't have to, but his reply is a can't wait.

       I get to his house and before I can knock on the door, Weisz opens it up for me. He has been doing a lot better, thankfully. He doesn't look as weak as he was before, but he still does have to take it easy. Weisz smiles at me. "Hey."

       I smile back at him and kiss his cheek before walking into the house. "Hi."

       Weisz's grandma, Greta, walks out of the kitchen and sighs when she sees Weisz. "You should be resting, Weisz."

       "I'm allowed to get out of bed," Weisz says. "And I'm fine enough to move around now."

       "If you say so," Greta says before heading back into the kitchen.

       Weisz rolls his eyes before he gestures for me to follow him upstairs and to his room. The moment his door is closed, he says, "I love my family, but they get so overwhelming. They freak out if I so much get out of bed to turn off the lights."

       "They mean well," I say as Weisz and I sit on his bed.

       "I know," Weisz says. "But it doesn't make it any less annoying. I really am doing fine. I'm responding well to the chemo, I don't feel as sick, and my doctor said I might be able to go back to school soon. Though I'm sure his version of soon is, like, a few weeks."

       I lie down on the bed. "I doubt you would want to go back to that hell hole."

       Weisz furrows his eyebrows. "Is everything okay there?"

       "You mean apart from me being suspended for skipping? Oh, yeah." I sigh heavily. "It's Neil. He's just so annoying. He's adamant that I've murdered you. I know I shouldn't get annoyed over it because of how stupid it is but I can't help it. He just keeps going out of his way to bug me. So would you be okay with me staying here until school ends?"

       Weisz lies down beside me. "As much as I would love that, I don't want you to get in trouble again. You're going to have to go back when lunch ends."

       I sigh. "I know."

       "We can always video chat at school," Weisz says. "Like during lunch."

       "Come on, you know I'd probably come here every day during lunch."

       "Before you leave the school, I mean. Just while you're in the hallway. So that if Neil does decide to bug you, he'll see me on your phone, and I can curse him out. Please. I want to curse him out."

       "Be careful. He threatened to tell on me for cursing."

       "What is he? Five?"

       "Probably."

       "Well, I can't really get in trouble if I'm at home," Weisz says, placing his hand on my cheek. "I really am sorry that Neil has been bugging you a lot. I promise, once I'm back at school, I'll get him to leave you alone."

       I smile at Weisz. I know Neil probably won't leave me alone, but at least I won't feel as annoyed if I have Weisz back at school with me. "Sounds like a plan."

__________________

(honestly, reno, just run neil over with your car)

i still love reno and weisz so much <3 they're one of my favourite couples i've written