chapter 54: reno wants to start something

~reno~

       "Alright, class," my music teacher, Mrs. Sandhu, says once the tardy bell rings. "As a reminder, we're going to be having a fundraiser soon to help raise money for your school trip coming soon. These funds are really going to help for some students who might not be able to fully afford going on the trip, so it's important we do the best we can. Now, each homeroom will have their own section at the fundraiser, so we need to start brainstorming some ideas."

       "A bake sale," one student says.

       "No way," another student says. "That's basic. I bet there will be, like, at least two other classes doing a bake sale. We need to stand out from the rest of the classes."

       "We don't need to stand out. We just need to do something that raises enough money."

       "I mean, I'm pretty sure there's a prize for the class that raises the most money. There normally is everywhere."

       The first student looks at Mrs. Sandhu. "Is that true?"

       "Well, I technically shouldn't be saying anything about it," Mrs. Sandhu says. "But I don't see the point of hiding it if there is a prize every year for the class that raises the most money. It's also recommended that we have at least three ideas and rank each one. That way, if too many classes want to do the same idea, we can assign some of them to go with their second idea."

       "What about a car wash?" Marie suggest. "A lot of people will be driving their cars to the school anyway for the fundraiser. We can separate a section of the parking lot just for the car wash."

       Mrs. Sandhu writes the idea down on the board. "That's a start. Any other ideas?"

       "Bingo," a student says. "People will have to pay for how many cards they want to play and the winners will get basic prizes like chocolate or something. A lot of people will play even if the prizes are cheap just for the thrill of winning."

       Mrs. Sandhu writes down bingo as another student says, "Well, since the fundraiser is going to be a carnival kind of thing, we can host a carnival game. But make it very rigged."

       "I don't know if that's ethical," Mrs. Sandhu says.

       The student shrugs. "Why not? Carnival games normally are rigged. We don't be doing anything different if we continue the tradition."

       Mrs. Sandhu sighs. "Alright, but we're going to need specific ideas for the carnival game."

       My classmates pitch their ideas for the carnival games before deciding which one we should put on our list. A carnival game probably seems like the best idea since people love participating in them just to win, even if the prizes are cheap.

       "Any other ideas?" Mrs. Sandhu says.

       "Oh! We can auction someone in the class off on a date," a student says. 

       "Will people actually participate in an auction just to go on a date with someone?" Marie asks.

       The student whose idea it was nodded. "Absolutely. Especially if it's a student everyone is already in love with."

       Quite a few of my classmates look over at me, and it doesn't take me long to figure out why. "No," I say. "No. Absolutely not."

       "Oh, come on," the idea student says. "A lot of people will kill to go on a date with you. We'd make a lot of money that way."