chapter 52: reno is excited

~reno~

       "I'm glad the assembly is during first period," I say to Weisz as we sit down on the bleachers. "I don't have to go to that cursed class."

       Weisz furrows his eyebrows. "I thought music is your favourite class. You can basically do whatever you want in there as long as you're showing you're learning in some way."

       "Yeah, but ever since Marie found out about me and you, she won't stop antagonizing me," I say. "She's constantly glaring at me, telling me to stop playing the guitar so loud, telling me I'm in her way."

       Weisz sighs. "I'm sorry. I know you moved away from Waterfalls so you wouldn't have to deal with annoying people."

       I shake my head. "Don't worry. It's not as bad as it was back in Waterfalls. There, it was like almost everyone hated me. Here, it's just Marie. I can handle it."

       "Are you sure?" 

       I nod, giving Weisz a reassuring smile. "I'm sure. Anyway, if she gets too annoying, I'll be more than happy to start rubbing our relationship in her face."

       "As tempting as that is, I don't want to cause anymore problems. Besides, if you really want to annoy her, just sic Amelia and Adam on her."

       "Or, and here's a better idea, you and I can make out."

       Weisz just smiles at me before looking away to see Amelia and Adam enter the gymnasium together. Weisz waves them over, so they soon climb up to the seat of the bleachers we're at. Not long after, Marcel and Jane join us. 

       We already know what the assembly is about seeing just us grade elevens are here. The school trip. They're finally going to tell us not only where it is, but when it will be as well as all the other details.

       Weisz hasn't talked to his doctor yet. He wants to wait until he knows exactly where the school trip is. Luckily for him, he has a checkup today after school, so he can ask him right then and there.

       Well, that's if he has the courage to ask. Recently, Weisz has been doubting the possibility that he can go, and even thinks there will be no point in asking. But I will be there with him since I'm driving him there, so I can convince him to ask.

       "Alright, the assembly is about to start soon," Adam says. "I say we place bets on where we're going. Paris, Rome, Tokyo. Go."

       "I'm not betting," Jane says. "I'd rather save my money for the trip. My siblings are going to pester me to buy them souvenirs, and I'd rather not hear them complain when I get back that I don't love them enough."

       "Ah, to be an only child," Adam says. "One of the greatest feelings in the world."

       "Don't you have an older brother?" Weisz asks.

       "We don't talk about him," Adam says. "Annoying piece of shit. I'd rather pretend that he doesn't exist."

       "Is this because he ate the last donut?" Amelia asks.

       "Not just the last donut," Adam says. "My donut. I bought it for myself and was going to eat it after dinner, but that jerk ate it knowing it was mine. I haven't spoken a word to him since, and that happened two months ago."

       "You know, that might be petty, but that's amazing dedication," Amelia says. "I strive to be like you one day."

       Adam places his hand above his heart. "That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

       The assembly soon started and the moment it's announced where the school trip is going to happen, the students started talking excitedly. I lean towards Weisz and whisper, "Imagine making love in the city of love."

       Weisz's face begins to blush deeply, but instead of telling me to knock it off, he whispers back, "If I'm even allowed to go."

       The principal tells everyone to quiet down, so I don't have the chance to tell Weisz there is a chance he can go. He just has to ask his doctor today and hopefully get the good news.

       The rest of the assembly is everyone getting all the details about the trip. In our next class, we'll be given permission slips as well as everything we're being told right now so we don't forget.

       When the assembly ends, we have some time to spare before our next class, so most people leave the gymnasium to go wherever. The six of us leave to find somewhere else to go. I can't help but notice that Weisz looks a bit upset.

       The two of us falter behind from the others, so I ask him, "Are you okay?"

       Weisz sighs. "Yeah. I've always wanted to go to Paris, which makes me more afraid to ask my doctor if I can go. I hate being told I can't to things."

       "But if you don't ask him, you might not get the yes," I say. 

       "I know."

       Part of me thinks Weisz just might not ask his doctor when we get to his appointment. It's just the basic check up, making sure everything is running smoothly and the treatment is working. So far, it is. Dr. Valberg even tells Weisz he can probably get back to doing physical activities again without feeling winded.

       "Do you have any questions?" Dr. Valberg asks Weisz near the end of his appointment.

       Weisz shakes his head. "Nope. None at all."

       I nudge Weisz's side. "Ask."

       "Whatever it is, I'm here to give you an answer," Dr. Valberg says.

       Weisz hesitates before he says, "There's a school trip happening for the grade elevens. A trip to Paris. Is it fine for me to go even though I'm still recovering?" He opens his backpack and takes out the information sheet about the trip before handing it to Dr. Valberg. "Here's everything about it."

       Dr. Valberg reads over the information. "Well, you will have to take extra precautions but with the your stage of recovery, it is allowed."

       "Wait, seriously?" Weisz asks.

       Dr. Valberg nods. "Seriously."

       I smile at Weisz. "See? I told you it would be good to ask. Now all that's left is to ask your parents."

       Weisz sighs. "Right. That's going to be difficult with how protective they are. Remember, it took a while to convince them to let me spend a few nights at your house."

       "If you'd like, you can wait until I get all the information you will need about travelling abroad," Dr. Valberg says. "In the end, it will be their decision, but I can try to help ease their mind."

       "Yeah, that would help," Weisz says. "Thanks."

________________

i wish i could go to paris :( the furthest place i've been to was montreal, but i did love it there.

anyway my city is now in a heat wave so that's great. the worst part was today was the coolest day so the next four days are going to be brutal :(