chapter 42: reno is confused

~reno~

       Dad would have been okay with me staying home for the rest of the semester until I transfer schools, but I unfortunately couldn't miss the rest of my classes. I have exams I have to take. I doubt I would fail if I miss them since my grades are quite high, but I don't want them to get lower.

       I don't know what I want to do after high school yet, but if I end up wanting to go to post-secondary, I'll need good grades.

       At least this is the last day I'll ever have to be at this cursed school. I'll soon be able to just be happy with Weisz without having to worry about annoying being homophobic or constantly degrading us. Or judging me and spreading a lot of rumours about me.

       I can't wait to get out of here.

       Weisz and I both finish our exams for first period before we're dismissed, so we're able to talk to each other as long as we're not disturbing anyone. Most people are done as well, so it's not like we're the only ones talking.

       "I have to admit, I'm going to miss this school," Weisz says, packing up his stuff now so he won't have to do it later.

       I furrow my eyebrows. "You're joking, right? Because that's the most insane thing I've ever heard come out of your mouth."

       Weisz smiles at me. "Of course I'm joking. I've always missed East Vista, so I'm excited to go back there. You're going to like it there."

       "I hope." I lean back in my seat. "Surely, it can't be bad as this school, right?"

       "Oh, it's a lot better, trust me. For starters, you don't get suspended for skipping school. I mean, if you skip enough that it effects your grades, they'll do something about it, but something that will keep you in school."

       "So what I'm hearing is we can skip school to make out and not get in trouble."

       Weisz glares at me. "We're still not doing that."

       "So you don't love me?"

       "That's literally not what I said at all. You know I love you."

       "Prove it."

        Weisz chuckles. "I can prove it in a lot of ways, but not by skipping school to make out with you. Actually..."

       "Actually...?"

       Weisz leans closer to me and lowers his voice. "We had our exam for fourth period yesterday, right? We technically don't have to go to that class. Not that I would want to anyway after what our teacher did."

       "You don't think he'll get mad if we skip?"

       "What's he going to do? Suspend us? Come on, I thought you'd be more excited to skip."

       I smile. "Fair point." This time, it's my turn to lower my voice, simply because I want to fluster my boyfriend. And I always know exactly how to do that. "We can take my car to the cliff, if you know what I mean."

       As always, Weisz's face reddens at the mere mention of stuff we've done in my car. "Stop saying that."

       "And not fluster you? Where's the fun in that?"

       First period soon ends, meaning I only have to make it through two more periods now that Weisz and I are skipping fourth period. I would have us just leave at lunch, but we both have exams in our third period class.

       Second period is also an exam, which actually makes the class go by a lot faster than it normally does. Soon enough, lunch rolls around so I head to my locker. Since I won't be here after school, I decide to empty it out now and just leave my stuff in my car. I don't have much in my locker anyway.

       As I'm emptying out my locker, a voice behind me says, "You know, you don't have to empty out your locker when it's not summer. We still have another semester to go."

       "I know," I say. "But I'm transferring schools."

       "You are?" Neil asks. "Are you moving?"

       "Nope. Just moving schools."

       "Why?"

       I look at Neil, furrowing my eyebrows. "Why am I moving schools when I'm still living in this town? Gee, I don't know. Maybe it's because of the countless of rumours spread about me. Maybe, just maybe, it's because of the homophobic teachers and students at this school that got me banned from going to the school dance."

       "I'm not homophobic," Neil says.

       I snort and go back to emptying out my locker. "Right. And my hair isn't red."

       "I'm really not."

       "Could have fooled me."

       "Do you seriously not remember what happened between us two summers ago?"

       I pause taking stuff out of my locker as I try to think back to what Neil is referring to. Eventually, it hits me. "Ah, right. Sorry, I burned that from my memory a long time ago." I finish taking all my stuff out and shoving what I can into my backpack. "So what was all of this then? Just an insane way of getting my attention?"

       "Would it be bad if I say yes?" Neil asks.

       "Uh, yeah, extremely," I say. "Do you now know how uncomfortable and scary it was to find a lot of teachers at this school don't care about my and Weisz's wellbeing at all? All of them, except two, were so open to discriminating against us. It's terrifying being at this school."

       "Look, I'm sorry," Neil says. "But... I started doing it for Jessica. She has a huge crush on Weisz, so I thought if I could split you two up--"

       "What? That we would go running to the two of you?" I ask. I close my locker now that it's empty. "If you ever wanted a chance with me, you should have treated me the way Weisz treats me."

       I walk off and head to Weisz's locker to meet up with him. He has the same idea as me; he's emptying out his locker now since we have the time. He looks at me and frowns. "Uh oh. What happened?"

       "What makes you think something happened?" I ask, leaning against the locker beside his.

       "You look annoyed," Weisz says. "So...?"

       I sigh heavily. "Just a bunch of... I don't know, confusion, I guess. Neil likes me."

       "He finally sees the light," Weisz says. 

       "No, not platonically. Romantically."

       "...Oh. Yeah, then I'm confused too. What's with the whole them feeling uncomfortable with us being at the dance then?"

       I shrug, not wanting to tell Weisz about Jessica's crush on him. That's her business, not mine. "My guess? Neil just used that as an excuse so he wouldn't have to see us together. Everything else, like the rumours, was to get my attention. You know what gets my attention, though? Doing stuff in my car. Come on, hurry up."

       "I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying," Weisz says. "I want to empty my locker now so I want have to do it after third period. We'll only have five minutes before fourth period begins."

       "Yes, I know," I say. "I emptied my locker just now too." I look into his locker. "But mine also didn't have as many things as you."

       "You know, you can judge me or you can help. And the faster you help, the faster we can do stuff in your car."

       "Music to my ears," I say before I start to help out Weisz empty his locker. Soon enough, we'll be done with this school forever. I can't wait.

_______________

i can't wait until they're at weisz's old school. it's a lot more accepting.

but that doesn't mean there won't be drama >:)