chapter 27: weisz needs entertainment

~weisz~

       There's a soft knock on my door and after I say, "Come in," my mom opens the door. She gives me a small smile, one she normally gives me when she's coming to check up on me, even if she just did ten minutes ago. Which she did. I get that she just wants to make sure I'm okay, but I'd appreciate it if it didn't happen every ten minutes.

       I'd even be happy with just every hour, even though that gets annoying as well. If I feel like something is wrong, I'd tell them.

       "Hey," Mom says. "I'm just checking in on you. How are you doing?"

       "Fine," I say. "Like I was ten minutes ago. You don't have to keep checking in on me."

       Mom sighs. "I know. I'm just worried about you."

        "You don't have to be," I say. "I'm not the first person in this entire world whose leukaemia came back. And I'm responding well to the chemotherapy, just like last time."

       Mom sits down at the edge of my bed. "That's the thing. Last time, it beat you up. Both physically and emotionally."

       "Emotionally because of Marie," I point out. "She promised she would be there for me, but she was too busy screwing around with another guy. Reno, on the other hand, visits me all the time. He comes here during lunch, brings me food from the diner, texts me all night."

       Mom smiles at me. "Well, I am glad that you have Reno this time. Does he know about Marie?"

       "He knows that she cheated on me," I say. "Not that while I was recovering from leukaemia, but that's because I just recently told Reno I had it once I was back in the hospital. I'll tell him soon if he hasn't already figured it out. Has Dr. Valberg called about me going back to school?"

       "He did," Mom says. "That's why I'm here. He did say you're doing well, but not well enough to go back to school. Yet. He said there's a very good chance you'll be able to go back after winter break. Doesn't winter break start in two weeks?"

       I sigh and rest my head back. "I should have known it was going to be no. I get so bored staying in the house."

       "I know you do, but your immune system is weak right now," Mom says. "You can't risk getting sick."

       "Right, so once again, I'll be stuck indoors during winter break."

       "Not necessarily. After your next check up, Dr. Valberg will tell you if you can go in public spaces again, though it's likely you'll have to wear a mask. But that's better than nothing, right?"

       "Yeah. I guess."

       Mom looks at my head. "How's your hair?"

       "It's just thinning," I say. "Not falling out this time." My cell phone rings with a request to video chat, so I pick it up. "It's Reno. I told him he could video chat me during lunch before he gets here so people can see that I'm alive and haven't been murdered."

       Mom furrows her eyebrows. "Why are people saying you've been murdered?"

       I shrug. "Teenagers like to gossip."

       Mom stands up. "Well, I'll leave you to Reno. Tell me or Grandma if you need anything."

       "I will." 

       After Mom leaves, I answer Reno's video chat request. He's currently at his locked right now, though he takes the time to smile at me when he sees I answered. "Hey. How are you?"