chapter 4: reno thinks school is tolerable now

~reno~

       Part of me was tempted to go to the diner for lunch today, but I also didn't feel like leaving the school. On the bright side, I do have a car now so if I ever want to be somewhere else for lunch, I can go.

       I can even go home for lunch, which seems a lot better than eating in the library. I've tried eating in the cafeteria before. There were never any available tables for me to sit at, and quite a few people would put their bags on the empty seats to stop me from sitting there.

       Not that I would sit with judgmental people anyway.

       I take a bite out of my sandwich right as Weisz walks over to me, carrying some lunch from the cafeteria. "Hey," he says. "Can I sit here?"

       "You can do whatever you want," I say. "I'm not going to stop you."

       "Thanks," Weisz says as he sits down at the table.

       "So what happened to the people you normally sit with?" I ask. I don't want to tell Weisz I'm not exactly fond of the people I've seen him sit with at lunch mainly because it's not my business who he sits with. It's not like they're terrible people anyway. I'm just certain one of them is the cause of all the rumours about me.

       "They're all on the dance committee stuff and have something to do for the upcoming dance," Weisz says. "They tried convincing me to join the committee, but I told them I want to settle into the school first before joining anything."

       "Ah, I see," I say. "So I'm your second choice because you don't want to eat alone."

       Weisz is about to take a bite out of his lunch, but he stops after my 'accusation'. "What? No, I swear I don't mean it that way. I kind of wanted to sit with you, anyway. It's just one of them is in my class before lunch and--"

       "Weisz," I interrupt. "I'm kidding. You're allowed to sit wherever you want."

       Weisz sighs. "I can never tell when you're joking."

       "I've become a master at sarcasm," I say. "I can always tone down the sarcasm for you, but I don't think I'm going to."

       "I feel like it's revenge for the whole diner and package thing."

       "That's exactly what it is." I smile at him. "I'm glad you're starting to understand me."

       I take a bite of my sandwich, only to nearly choke on my sandwich when Weisz suddenly says, "I like it when you smile."

       Thankfully, I don't actually choke on my sandwich, but I do have to cough a few times until my throat is clear. I can feel my cheeks get a bit hotter, probably very visibly red all because of Weisz's comment. At least I can probably blame it on the fact that I nearly choked to death. "H-Huh?"

       "I-I mean that I like your smile. W-Wait, no, that I... Hold on, let me just figure out what I meant to say." He takes a deep breath. "I think you have a nice smile."

       I can't help but smile softly at the compliment. "Thanks. That's... Something I haven't heard before."

       "Really?" Weisz asks. "Because it really is a nice smile. Also, your piercings a very cool, especially the snake bites."

       I don't know what is up Weisz's compliments, but if he keeps it up, he'll probably make my head explode. My cheeks are only blushing deeper, heating up even more than it already is. I have to cover my face to hide it, though it probably just makes my blush even more obvious. "Stop, I can't take anymore."

       "Wow, I didn't think you would struggle taking compliments," Weisz says. "Should I give you more?"

       I drag my hands down my face. "Please don't. I want to eat in peace without almost choking on my sandwich again."

       This time, it's Weisz's time to smile. Along with the blush on my face, my heart begins to beat at a rapid pace. What is happening to me? 

       I do enjoy spending lunch with Weisz. I know it probably won't happen every day. It probably won't even happen for a while because he always has lunch with those other people again. At least it's not like we'll never talk to each other again. 

       School ends with me having to immediately head to the diner for work. Now that I have a car, I do have a bit more time to relax at the diner before my shift starts.

       Shortly after my shift starts, my dad and a bunch of his friends come into the diner, like they normally do. Most of them head to their favourite table while Dad and Joe walk up to the counter to give me everybody's orders.

       They don't give me their order right away, though. Dad's about to, but Joe says, "Reno, your friend isn't here today?"

       I glare at Joe's emphasis on 'friend', trying to hint at something that just isn't there. Unfortunately for me, Dad's interest is immediately piqued. "Oh? A friend?"

       "Not just a friend," Joe says. "A friend."

       "Stop it," I say. "He was my partner for a school project. That's it."

       "I'm not sure about that," Joe says. "He came by the diner two nights ago. You two were chatting up a storm."

       "Can I take your order?" I ask, wanting to end this conversation so I'm not teased anymore.

       "Hold on," Dad says as he looks at Joe. "How much were they chatting? A lot? A little?"

       "Well, I did say chatting up a storm," Joe says. "They just went on and on and on."

       "Can I take your order?" I repeat, putting more emphasis so they realize I don't want to talk about this anymore. Even if they do end the conversation, I know the teasing isn't going to suddenly stop. If anything, I'll get teased by my dad's friends whenever I'm in the diner.

       They do tell me their orders, but Dad stays back as Joe heads over to their table even though I would bring the food to them when it's ready. "So..." Dad says slowly.

       "No," I say. "Whatever you're going to say or ask. No. He's a friend. I don't know if I would even call him a friend. Look, he's new to the school and we were paired up for a project. That's it."

       "Okay," Dad says. "If you say so."

       "Your tone indicates that you don't believe me."

       Dad just shrugs before heading over to the table where the rest of his friends are. This is certainly going to be a long shift if they're all talking about me and Weisz.

____________________

(weisz was 100% flirting with reno even if he didn't know it. he probably just thought he was complimenting reno)

anyway i already love the two of them so much.