chapter 20: reno hates people except for weisz

~reno~

       The bell rings to end first period, but before I can even pack up my stuff to leave, Ms. Maywood says, "Reno and Weisz. I'd like to talk to the two of you before you leave."

       My classmates give the typical, "Ooh!" when someone seems to be in trouble. Ms. Maywood tells them to knock it off and hurry off to their next class.

       As we wait for everyone to leave, Weisz turns to look at me, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I just shrug. I have no idea what this is about. I'm just as confused as Weisz.

       Once the last student leave the class, Weisz and I walk over to Ms. Maywood. "So," she says, crossing her arms over her chest. "It has come to my attention that you two weren't present during the second act of the play yesterday."

       Ah, so that's what it's about. Someone snitched on us. If Ms. Maywood was the one who noticed it herself, she would have brought it up yesterday. But she didn't, meaning someone must have told her today that Weisz and I weren't there.

       And I have an idea of who that might be.

       "O-Oh," Weisz says. "That's because... I go to that school."

       I guess Weisz really hasn't gotten into trouble often. I told him to use that excuse if a teacher from the other school catches us, not if our own teacher catches us.

       Ms. Maywood furrows her eyebrows at Weisz's excuse. "Huh?"

       "What he means is that he went to that school," I say. "And it's my fault we missed the second half. I wanted to meet one of Weisz's friends since she was on a study block during the intermission, and we ended up losing track of time. By the time we remembered we were supposed to be watching the play, it was close to finishing, and we didn't want to distract anyone by sneaking back into the theatre."

       "Right," Weisz says. "Sorry. My friend and I were really excited to see each other again since I moved. We lost time catching up."

       "Also, if it was Neil who snitched on us, I hope you remember that he lied about me spiking the punch bowl. I mean, I'm not saying he's lying about us missing the second half, but he just wants me to get in trouble for no reason."

       Ms. Maywood sighs, and I can't tell if we're going to get in trouble or not. "I hate to do this since you should have been present, but you two have been showing your knowledge in Romeo and Juliet, and I didn't get any reports of you disrupting the school."

       "So... We're not in trouble?" Weisz asks.

       "No, you're not," Ms. Maywood says. "It would have been different if you were running around the hallways or something. And like I said, you know the play well enough. It wouldn't have made a difference if you didn't attend the field trip altogether. But I expect this to be a one time thing. If we ever go on another field trip, please stick with the rest of the class."

       "Yes, Ma'am," Weisz says. "It won't happen again."

       Ms. Maywood nods. "Good. Now head off to your next class. You still have time to get there, so you shouldn't be late."

       Weisz and I leave the class and once we're out of earshot, Weisz sighs heavily. "That was a close one. Do you really think Neil was the one who snitched?"

       "Probably," I say. "Ms. Maywood would have said something yesterday if she was the one who noticed. And who else has been trying their hardest to get me in trouble?"