chapter 46: reno finds this funny

~reno~

       Music class probably would have been my favourite class had Marie not lied to her boyfriend about me hitting on her. She probably knew that Dave would threaten me, yet she didn't seem to care at all. Anything to get Dave to pay attention to her again or whatever excuse she used.

       When class starts, we're free to do whatever we want, like most days. We can practice the song we chose for the first performance, we can research songs we want to perform, we can talk to our teacher about questions we have. It's basically a self-led class.

       Some people take the opportunity to talk to anyone in the class they know, including Marie, unfortunately. I still haven't chosen a song yet, so I'm looking through my phone for songs I can learn. As I'm doing so, Marie says, "Hey, Reno."

       I don't say anything back. I don't even look at her. I continue to look at my phone, hoping it's enough to get Marie to leave me alone. It's not, and I should have assumed so.

       "Look, I'm sorry for lying to my boyfriend about you hitting on me," Marie says. "If I knew you had a boyfriend--"

       "You would have chosen someone else to be your victim?" I finish. 

       "You're making it sound like I did something wrong," Marie says.

       This time, I do look at Marie. She seriously can't think that she's innocent. "You did do something wrong. You lied about me hitting on you. You probably knew your boyfriend was going to threaten me to back off. It's a dangerous thing to lie about. You have no idea what someone might be going through. Being threatened like I was can be seriously triggering for people."

       "Was it for you?" Marie asks.

       "That's none of your business," I say.

       "You're right," Marie says. "I'm sorry for prying. And for lying. Let me make it up to you. We can all go on a double date as my treat. Me and my boyfriend, you and your boyfriend."

       At first, I want to ask how that is a good way to make up to her lying about me, but then I realize something. I highly doubt that she would want to go on a double date with her ex-boyfriend. Judging by her attitude recently, I doubt she would have even be as cheerful as she is right now if she knew who my boyfriend was.

       "No, thanks," I say, turning my attention back to my phone. "I highly doubt my boyfriend would want to go on a double date with you two after what happened."

       "But that's what the double date is for," Marie says. "As an apology for lying and putting you in between me and my boyfriend."

       So she really didn't know. I can always tell her who my boyfriend was but after what she did, I was feeling a bit petty and needed to find some humour in this. I think it would be very funny if I just didn't tell her and for her to just see me and Weisz being affectionate with each other.

       But just to clarify, just in case she actually didn't care, I asked, "Did Dave not tell you who my boyfriend is?"

       Marie furrows her eyebrows. "No? He just told me that you had one and asked if I lied about you hitting on me. Why? Does he go here? Is that why you transferred her? To be with him? If so, that's really cute."

       "I need to focus on choosing a song," I say.

       "Alright," Marie says. "Well, if you change your mind about the double date, or even if you want to go later on, just let me know."