chapter 28: reno has a flashback

~reno~

       The moment Neil and his friends walk into the diner, I'm tempted to tell my manager I'm feeling sick and ask to go home. I already have to deal with them at school. I would rather not deal with them at my favourite place in town, especially while I'm working. If it's going to be anything like last time, they're going to try to make my job a living hell.

       I try my best to get this job done and over with. I refuse to talk to them unless it's part of my job. If Neil tries to strike a conversation with me, I'm just going to ignore him. I already know I won't get in trouble for it. I told my manager about these annoying people last time, so she knows Neil has a knack for trying to get me into trouble.

       I'm surprised they're back here, though. Last time, they kind of seemed frightened when my dad snapped at them. Too bad Dad's not here right now. I don't even know if he or his friends will be coming back later.

       When Neil and the others walk up to the counter, it takes a lot out of me not to give attitude as I say, "Can I take your order?"

       And, of course, Neil decides to ask something completely irrelevant. "Where's Weisz?"

       That's probably why they came here after what happened last time. They know Weisz works here so they've come to see him since he's not showing up at school. Though technically, Weisz doesn't work here anymore until his doctor gives him the all clear to start working again.

       "Sorry, I'm not authorized to give out an employee's information," I say.

       "We want to see him," Jessica says.

       "Cool," I say. "Can I take your order or not?"

       "Look, we don't know how else to get in contact with him," Neil says. "We don't have his phone number, we don't know where he lives, and we don't know when he's coming back to school."

       "So you thought I would tell you?" I ask. "Even though you have started numerous of rumours about me? You had half the school, if not more, believed that I murdered my boyfriend. So, no, I'm not telling you anything about him."

       "He was our friend first," Jessica says.

       "Congrats. Can I take your order?"

       "You're being selfish," Neil says. "We want to know if he's okay. He said he was sick. How could he be sick for weeks?"

       "Can I take your order?" I ask, refusing to say anything. If Weisz wants them to know, he would have told Neil exactly what was going on when he told him he was sick. He just wants it simplified, and it's not my place to go into detail about what Weisz is going through.

       Especially to these people.

       "You are such a pain in the ass," Neil says. "Weisz was our friend and you're refusing to tell us about him."

       "That may be true but right now, I'm at work," I say. "He's my co-worker, so I would be giving out sensitive information. I'm sorry that you can't get in contact with him, but have you ever stopped to think that maybe, it's your fault? If you're not going to eat here, then I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

       They, thankfully, decide to leave. I sigh heavily, rubbing my forehead. I don't get them at all. They say they were friends with Weisz, but they don't like who Weisz is dating. And I'm not bragging saying I'm an amazing person, but I'd like to think I treat Weisz well. There's no reason for any of Weisz's friends to hate me dating him.

       Now that they've left, work went along smoothly. That is, until it's close to closing time. There's two customers left enjoying their food, so I take the time to clean up a bit while I wait for them to leave so I can get a head start. 

       I head to the garbage can and take out the bag so I can bring the trash to the back. Stepping out the back door and to the back of the diner, a chill is sent up my spine from both the cold weather and how pitch black is was outside. The only source of light I get is a flickering light above the door.

       I walk to the garbage bin and throw the bag in there. Right as I turn around to head back inside, I hear what sounds like someone dropping something heavy. I look around, though I don't see anyone. It still doesn't shake the uneasy feeling I have.

       I hurry back into the diner, closing the back door behind me. I'm about to head back to the dining area, but my chest begins to tighten as my heart beats faster. Not now. Please not now. 

       No matter how many times I tell my mind not to think about it, flashes of that one night start to come to my mind. Bruises. Blood. Pain. A lot of pain.

       I try to control my breathing, but I can't. The thoughts just won't go away.

       "Reno?" I hear my manager, Carly, say. She walks over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, it's okay. You're okay. You're safe here. Nothing's going to happen to you."

       I nod, once again trying to take a few deeps breaths. I'm able to this time. It helps now that I know someone is near me.

       When Carly sees that I'm no longer panicking, she says, "I keep telling you that you don't have to go out to the back if it scares you too much."

       "I-I know," I say. "But I can't avoid it forever, and it's part of my job."

       "And as your manager, I'm telling you that taking out the trash late at night isn't part of your job if it scares you," Carly says. "I never mind doing it for you instead. Your shift's almost over. Why don't you head home now?"

       I shake my head. "I'm fine."

       "Go home, Reno. You deserve to go home early. I'll take care of closing."

       Carly clearly isn't going to let me stay, so I nod before heading to the staff room to get out of my uniform and grab my stuff. I clock out, but not before thanking Carly. Once I get into my car, I close my eyes and take some more deep breaths. I thought I was past all that, but I guess not.

___________________

oop, we're starting to get into reno's past now. i wonder what happened to him?