chapter 16: reno thinks weisz is a dummy

~reno~

       The door to the diner opens. Weisz rushes in, hurrying to get behind the counter. "I am so sorry I'm late," he says. "I had a doctor's appointment and it ran later than I thought it would and--"

       "Weisz," I interrupt. To be honest, I don't care that he's late. Life happens and he did let our manager know, so it's not like he refused to let us know he was going to be late. I only wish he was here earlier so I wouldn't have to deal with certain idiots alone.

       I gesture my head to one of the tables. Weisz looks over, seeing the people he used to hang out with at lunch, minus Padma. Weisz furrows his eyebrows before he looks back at me. "They were adamant about not coming here."

       "Yeah, well, they're here," I say. I leave out the part about them purposefully making my job stressful. If they continue to do it with Weisz here, then that will only ruin their friendship even more, if it isn't already ruined. 

       Weisz heads to the staff room to clock in and put his apron on. He comes back to the counter, ready to get to work. "I really am sorry I'm late," he says again.

       "Don't worry about it," I say. "I was able to handle customers myself. I have before. Is your doctor appointment whey you weren't in fourth period?"

       Weisz nods. "My appointment was in the city and it was in the middle of fourth period, so there was no point of going to class only to leave halfway through." He looks at the group of four before looking back at me. "I'm surprised they're here. They're convinced only criminals work here. Now that I stay stuff like that out loud, I don't know why I put up with them for so long."

       "Oh, waiter!" Neil suddenly calls in a sing-song voice, and I already know he's going to try to be a pain in the ass. "You're taking too long giving us our drinks."

       I look at Neil, trying my best not to glare at him. "I already gave you your drinks."

       "Our first drinks," Neil says. "We each ordered a second one quite some time ago. We would very much appreciate it if we actually got them."

       "You never ordered other drinks," I say. 

       "Are you insinuating that I'm wrong?" Neil asks. "What happened to the customer is always right?"

       Oh, how I wanted to tell him that 'the customer is always right' is a bullshit saying that a lot of people use to justify abusing the workers. Customers are not always right. A lot of the times, they're wrong and they don't even apologize when they realize they were in the wrong.

       Instead, I just roll my eyes before I look back at Weisz. "He is lying, by the way. They never ordered other drinks."

       "Are they just trying to get free drinks?" Weisz asks.

       I shrug as Neil asks, "So what? You're just ignoring us customers now?"

       "That's exactly what I'm doing," I say. "Unless you have a real complaint, I will not be assisting you."

       Neil scoffs. "How did you even get hired here in the first place if you're going to act like that towards a paying customer? I hope you know that I'm going to report you to your manager."

       "Be my guest." Thankfully, my manager always listens to her employees whenever there is a complaint made against them, though it's rarely the case. If Neil does complain, all I have to do is tell her the truth; that he's being a condescending asshole who probably only came here to torment me.