Part 17.

Later on the same day, Kyle had made up with Zayne and was at the back of the house, he held his hands up in-front of him openly, his quiet muttering barely heard under the wind breathing through the trees. After he had finished, he turned to see Cara was standing on the porch, her eyes slimming over the the small wall of trees surrounding the house with an unsettling amount of cover. 

Cara had been following every direction Shaun had asked to take to make the place safer, but like Kyle she had doubts whether they were enough, worried the trees hid spying eyes in their cavernous forest.

"Everything alright?" Kyle asked her, snapping her out of her focus as her head tilts to the side where he was standing.

"As they can be...I suppose this way of life isn't too strange to us, but I thought once and for all we might've outrun them all those years ago"

"I never thought my life would lead this way...I thought I'd end up in the pigs trough after one rough beating"

Cara flinches at this, her eyes dropping in a saddened stare.

"As much as it pains me to hear that...it makes me hopeful for the future, you're a survivor through and through"

"We all are...do you think I'm right...for him?"

Cara was confused by this, as if remembering he wasn't apart of their culture to begin with, sitting down and patting the space between them. He quickly sits next to her as she parts her lips to speak.

"I'll admit that is...an odd question, there is nobody, not me, not you or Adrian or Shaun or Alyssa could answer that...Only Zayne can know if you are truly right for him, and vice versa"

"It is kind of stupid"

"It's not stupid Kyle, It's a little strange to doubt yourself after all you've accomplished for us, and for him"

Kyle was grateful he had Cara to talk to, and she happy to bond with him, she often felt like two children were just thrown her way without warning. Not that she minded, it was like raising Zayne and Alyssa all over again, and neither of them need mothering much anymore. Though she hated hearing about the pain and the grief they went through, sad she couldn't have given them a real home sooner.

"Without you I think Zayne would've plummeted...I've never said that out loud but only a mother could see that kind of hurt in our babies eyes, the feeling that they aren't good enough and that they'll never find their mate"

"What was it like?"

"Like he was caving in...He became meaner, much more agitated and incredibly sarcastic at times, I knew you were his mate the second I saw how he was behaving...how he was smiling"

"Really?"

"Yes, and to answer your question, yes I do think you're good enough even if I truly dont know...You can't fake a love that strong"

Her words moved him, reassuring him with the faith that Zayne wouldn't fall back into it, that Kyle and him would last just as long as they talked about it lasting. Satisfied, he walks inside after thanking her for the advice, leaving her to ponder about the forest again, and more importantly, who was in the forest.

Shaun was mending his back with an ice bag while groaning in pain, Kyle noticed this and waves his hand over his head as he passed him.

"Otium~"

He whispered the spell, Shaun's pains were slowly dissipated but his face contorts in small annoyance.

"I dont remember asking for your help?" 

"Sorry, forgot you were being an asshole" Kyle rolled his eyes, wishing he could take back the spell but knew it wasn't worth the wasted energy. As he climbs the stairs to go find Zayne, he felt a strong presence in the deep bones of his feet, stopping and pausing to listen. The rest of the house had gone silent too as he turned his head to see Shaun was peering out the window, Zayne had come downstairs and a stern look to his jaw, clenched and anxious.