Part 21.

In the cold winds waving around the fortress walls, the smell of charcoal and fire could be smelt from the braziers as they alight while night falls among them, the hunters patrolling the walls tightly with surprising numbers. Each one tipped with a bow and sword, the men knew how to fight, they were smart and could completely outnumber a single person.

At least those were the thoughts of a prowling Shaun, who had stolen the bow from Mags for his rescue mission, knowing after everything that happened they were all surely alive and hopefully, unharmed. Though he recognised this as wishful thinking, he still had hope in his gut, with a stone cold expression under the hooded shroud he also took on the way out, blending in with the branches he perched on just outside the fortress walls.

After scouting for a few moments he takes count of the braziers on the walls, knowing it was their only source of light at night, taking them out would be strategic but reckless, he also wouldn't be able to see either.

Then after climbing higher unnoticed he slips quick glances lower to see the courtyard with all the slaves at work, and the cages set up along the wall at the far end, with his family locked inside, the only person missing was Kyle.

"No..." Shaun whispers to himself, not in distain, but in a flat tone as if willing it not the be the case they executed his brother on the whim that he was a witch.

Seeing enough, he slips off the highest branch and into the fortress itself, arming himself with the knife he had sliced the hunter who tried to kill him with, and crouched low so nobody could see his smaller figure. Weaving in and out of shadows that only he could fit into, he was still angry at the hunters for trying to kill him; for almost succeeding.

He brandishes the knife in his hand as a stray hunter wanders slowly away from his post, hearing a commotion happening in the courtyard. Taking his only opportunity, he rushes silently and slashes at the hunters ankles and curving his hand around to clasp his mouth shut as he muffled in cries of pain. Flipping the knife in his fingers and bringing it back up, shoving the knife quickly into the hunters exposed jugular, killing him rather quickly.

Moving on from the body, peeking over the half wall into the courtyard to see a small and young boy being cornered by three hunters after he tried freeing Zayne, his foot looked broken from trying to slip from his cuffs, and watching the display angered Shaun beyond the point of stealth, even if he was outnumbered, he couldn't stand by and watch the boy die.

Nocking a blue arrow into the bow, the moment it touched the string it began to hum with power in Shaun's hands, the string slowly turning the same colour as the arrow from the middle to the very ends of it, swirling the colour through the ancient bows carvings.

Shaun felt amazing when he nocked it, he almost didnt want to let go, but alas, the arrow flies fast and cuts through the air as it hits the hunter in the middle of the trio, the back of the head erupts in a raging bomb of electricity, spreading to the hunters who each wore chainmail and the other hunters around them in a chain of at least six. After the shot hit, all hunters eyes were on Shaun, advancing in a dangerous wave.

Aiming another arrow he didnt have time to check, instantly releasing it in a green arc, colliding with a hunter at the front of the group which explodes in a massive puff of green smoke. As it consumes the hunters, they choke and vomits the stairway to Shaun was blocked by a mass of dead hunters.

Seeing more hunters coming his way along the wall, he looks to the boy he saved, staring at the show with an awestruck expression. Shaun throws the knife silently to him as it lands neatly by his feet. As the boy takes the knife he rushes to the wolves locked away and begins to pry at the lock with it, leaving just enough time to nock an arrow and shoot the yellow arc into the sword of a charging hunter.