Part 19.

"SHAUN BEHIND YOU!"

As Kyle screams up to the window where Shaun was perched, he swings on the shadow lurking in the darkness, a spy with the small glint of a dagger from the red sky still permeating from the window ledge. He was wearing red hooded robes, springing on the boy without hesitation, a deep croak to his voice as he tries to slash down on Shaun.

"...It...Can't happen"

He struggles as the knife hold ever close to his face, a sweat beading as his scrunched face fights off against the attacker, Kyle desperately tries to get inside and save his little brother but a whole slew of Reign soldiers emerged from the woods, firing more arrows at the family and their house.

"Kyle, we can't let them attack the house, you know what's inside there" Zayne pleads with Kyle as he holds him back, the arrows flying dangerously close over their head, pelting into the wooden home an slowly beginning to burn it.

"But my brother-"

Suddenly, without even a single thought to process anything, an arrow flies like a diving bird of prey, striking a hidden cranny in the house which immediately explodes, the traps they had set for the Reign had been triggered early, leaving the moonshine bombs they had crafted days ago to spill with fire as it spread even quicker than before. Watching his home burn in front of him, Zaynes grip on Kyle loosens as his face watches on in horror, the rest of the family fend off the hunters, but they were severely outnumbered.

Ripping from his grip, Kyle shoots into the burning home with a vigour that couldn't stop him, not even the screams and shouts of protest from Zayne, The attack outside was interrupted by the explosion, sending Shaun and the spy sprawling in surprise, giving Shaun an opportunity to attack. He raises his fist in anger and sends it down onto his skull with all his might, dazing him, Grabbing a hold of the dagger without thinking and plunging it into his neck, gurgling on the blood with his face down on Zayne and Kyle's bed, slowly flooding the sheets and pillows.

After the deed was done, Shaun was surprised at the bloody mess, the red already seeping into his skin and under his fingernails like a plague, guilt, shame and anger begins to flood his head as he throws the dagger, nailing it into the wall with a skilful aim.

"I...I..."

He tries to wipe it away but it was no use, he was bathing in this other mans blood and the weight of the action had shocked him to the core, distracting him from the door to the room being kicked open, Kyle bursting into the room with the flames on his heel, slamming the door shut and baring witness to the dead man in his bed.

"Shaun...Oh my god"

He hurries over and tries to help him, but Shaun was so in shock that he swipes at Kyles head, defending himself with a widened stare.

Kyle grabs his bare arms, his fingers sliding over the blood that soaked them, staring deeply into his eyes trying to break him from his defensive trance, the fire slipping under the door and quickly beginning to take over the room, Kyle and Shaun's silhouettes were flickering in front of the blazing fire behind them.

"Shaun please! We need to leave!!"

"DONT. TOUCH. ME!"

He swipes viciously, scratching at Kyle's eye and clawing into his eyelid making him pull away from him and clutch his face in pain. The fire had grown even closer and was burning at their heels, the room getting hotter and hotter as the house goes up in flames, Zayne and the rest of the family weren't shouting or screaming, in fact they were steadily silent and the only sound the brothers could hear was the roaring flames threatening to engulf them.