Chapter 6: Denial

Unedited

"A date? A date, Sooga?! That was what you decided to say!?"

Kohga sat impatiently at the table, his arms crossed and his foot pounding against the floor. Just a mere few hours ago, he and his good for nothing lackey witnessed the power of a Kitsune take down a golden lynel - one of the most difficult beasts to defeat mind you - and has the audacity to say 'it's a date?'

"Master Kohga, why are you so worked up about this?" Sooga asked, placing a bowl of fruit down for his Master and lighting the candles, "Miss (Y/N) is a wonderful woman, perhaps the two of you can learn from each other?"

"No way! Nuh-uh!" Kohga shouted, munching on a banana beneath his mask, "she may have taken down that beast but that doesn't mean anything! She just stole my thunder with all those fancy power moves."

"And yet you wished to protect her, no? To keep her safe?"

Moments passed as the two stared at each other, silence filling the void of the empty air. Sooga was going to win this one.

"So what if I did?" Kohga replied, "once she realises those losers have abandoned her, she'll have nowhere to go. I just want her to know that she's safe here. That doesn't mean you can call our little meetups 'dates.' Bleugh."

"Then I'm sure you won't mind if I gifted her all those drawings you've been doing," Sooga chuckled, pouring tea for the two of them, "she claims you picture her more beautiful than she truly is."

"She's being self-deprecating!" he replied, holding up one of the many intricate drawings of you, "I draw her the way I see her, and the way she should see herself! Beautiful, kind, an-"

"So you do admit it, Master," Sooga chuckled, "she is quite the sight."

Kogha growled, knowing full well that his lackey was trying to fool him, "I don't have feelings, Sooga, if that's what you're referring to. It's like admiring a diamond amongst rocks."

"The rocks being the enemy," Sooga said, sipping his tea beneath his mask, "I can tell, she does admire you as well."

"Of course she does! I, the great and Powerful Master Kohga, was the one who saved her from those losers!" the man replied, throwing his fist into the air, "anyways, I don't have feelings, not a single one!"

"Not yet..." Sooga mumbled, sipping the rest of his tea, "however, Master, I would like to know your opinion on...how the other Yiga treat her."

"Heard they been treatin' her well! So what's the problem?"

"There is no problem, Master. It's just that I've noticed the hundreds of flowers they've gifted her recently," Sooga replied, "oh well, perhaps one of our other members have caught her ice cold heart and melted it down to it's softness. Of course I could be wrong but..."

Silently, Kohga was fuming. A secret relationship? Was that even a possibility? It couldn't have been, you did thank him earlier with a small kiss on the cheek...

"Master?"

"Huh- oh what?" he snapped out of his daze, confused for a moment and ignoring the last sentence, "oh yeah, you've been doing some Kitsune research right?"

"I have been dabbling, Lady (Y/N) has even been helping me further my knowledge," Sooga responded, "why do you ask, Master?"

Kohga thought for a moment, deciding on whether or not to tell his right hand man. He sighed, "didja find anything out about how Kitsune show affection?"

Beneath his mask, Sooga's eyes widened a tad, "no, not a lot about affection. Why the sudden question?"

"Well...let's just say, I received a gift earlier from (Y/N)," Kohga began, his face going red beneath the comfort of his mask, "she thanked me by uh- um..."

"She kissed you on the cheek, I know Master," Sooga chuckled, "she told me while I assisted with her bath before. She thought that maybe you didn't appreciate it given she couldn't see your expression."

"If she saw my expression she woulda called me a tomato!" Kohga bellowed, leaning backwards in his chair, "and what are you doing helping a lady with her bath?"

"She asked for assistance with clothing choices, that is all," Sooga chuckled, "she certainly seems to be driven by fashion trends."

With a nod, Kohga agreed to the notion. They had to admit, you were pretty fashionable, and hella pretty too, no matter what you wore or if you were wearing makeup.

"Wait...did she think I was upset?" Kohga asked, growing a tad more quieter.

"She did indeed," Sooga responded honestly, "but I reassured that you weren't. She seemed happier afterwards."

"Happier after what?"

Both Sooga and Kohga choked slightly, jumping at the sudden voice. You stifled a laugh at the scare you gave them, continuing to dry off your hair and ears.

"Ah, Lady (Y/N), you're looking much more radiant," Sooga smiled beneath his mask, pulling out a seat for you as you continued to dry your sopping wet hair, "was your ice bath alright?"

"It was perfect, Sooga!" You beamed, water dripping down your skin as you dried the insides of your ears, "I don't believe I've ever had such an amazing bath before now!"

"That is great to hear, Lady (Y/N)," Sooga chuckled, pouring you some cold herbal tea, "I take it that you're feeling much better?"

"So much better, using so much elemental and physical power at once is draining," you smiled, attempting to tie your hair back, "and quit it with 'lady' thing, it's just (Y/N)!"

"Ah, my apologies (Y/N)," Sooga responded, "would you like assistance with your hair? I know my Master is far better at it than I am."

"Oh, really?" you beamed, "you didn't tell me you could be a hairstylist! You should do my hair!"

Kohga's face turned red as he stared at your bright, sharp fanged smile. Hairstylist? Sure he knew a few things but he was no pro.

"I— I could try?" Kohga mumbled nervously as he glared at Sooga, seeing you in such a state made his heart race a million miles per hour. Why was a silly woman making him so nervous?

"Perfect," Sooga laughed, "in that case, I'll prepare some food while you do that."

"Alright!" you smiled, giving a thumbs up and Sooga disappeared into thin air. Quickly, you got back to drying your hair, or at least trying to. Gosh these towels were so darn heavy.

"He— Here, allow me," Kohga said, appearing behind you and holding the towel gently against your head. You snickered quietly, not being used to this type of attention before, but god it felt nice.

Kohga's face was beet red as he gently massaged your hair, his face becoming far worse every time excess water dripped onto your skin or down your chest. He was so going to kill Sooga later.

"I've never had my hair dried for me before," you giggled quietly, "usually my arms get really tired before I'm even done with it. I'm always too scared to ask for help."

"Why is that?" Kohga asked, continuing to massage your head and steering away from your ears.

"I honestly don't know to be honest," you replied nervously as he finished drying your hair, "I guess I just get really nervous when I need help with something. It's worse when it's my Kitsune form that needs to be dried. Ugh."

As he brushed through your hair, he stifled a laugh, listening to you talk was nice. It was as if he was lulled into a sense of peace by just being within the same vicinity as you.

He wouldn't admit it, but maybe Sooga was right, maybe there is something developing there. Maybe he wanted to see your little meetups as dates.

But you were on different sides.

Perhaps in the future, it could be different.

____________________________________